The quintessential G&L guitar with P-90-style pickups.
The G&L ASAT Special just might be the quintessential G&L guitar, viewed by many as Leo's ultimate single-cutaway. Back in 1985, Leo Fender launched this model under the G&L Broadcaster name, which prompted a response from Fred Gretsch of Gretsch Guitars over the name just as it had 35 years earlier. History buffs will recall that the Broadkaster name is owned by Gretsch, and once again, a Broadcaster from Leo was required to have its name changed. This time around, the name became "ASAT" which is US military shorthand for an "Anti-Satellite" missile.
The ASAT Special, as the model became known, features jumbo single-coil Magnetic Field Design pickups, each with a narrow bobbin aperture for a coil which is shallow yet wide. In this regard, an MFD jumbo single coil is similar to a P-90 or Jazzmaster pickup, yet the MFD principle provides a punchier bottom end and brighter top end sparkling with harmonics. Leo further departed with the past with the addition of his innovative Saddle-Lock bridge which transfers string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument. The result is one of the most versatile guitars ever, serving up ballsy twang to searing blues to smooth jazz tones.
- Bolt-on construction
- 25-1/2" scale
- Leo Fender-designed G&L MFD single coils
- Swamp Ash body on Premier Finishes, Alder on Standard Finishes
- Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Rosewood fingerboard
- G&L C-shaped neck with 12" radius and 1 5/8" nut-width
- 100% natural bone nut
- 22 medium jumbo frets, nickel, Plek dressed
- 12:1 ratio, sealed-back tuners
- Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle-Lock with chrome-plated brass saddles
- 3-position pickup selector, volume, tone
Experience the genius of Leo's contribution to the guitar-playing world. Order today.