ILIO Ocean Way Drums Platinum - MacProduct #H74971 ILIO H74971 YUMB Virtual Drums & Percussion Software https://www.esnapw.com/rses/ESnapServlet?MerchantNumberSent=63655
- Write a Review
- Seen a Lower Price? Click Here.
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
- Buy New
This product has been discontinued but may be available as a Open Box item.
80GB, 24-bit/96kHz drum kit sound library recorded at iconic Ocean Way Studios by Grammy winners Allen Sides and Steven Miller.
Produced and engineered by Allen Sides and Steven Miller, co-produced by Sonic Reality, the 96kHz industry-standard, Ocean Way Drums Platinum HD includes 19 multichannel drum kits plus 7 additional kick drums packed into 80 gigabytes of super high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz samples pre-installed onto a special 7200 RPM hard drive. Also includes the Gold edition of Ocean Way Drums.
Allen Sides is the owner of Ocean Way and Record One studios in Los Angeles. In addition to being considered the recording industry's leading microphone expert, he is a Grammy winning engineer/producer that has recorded over 500 albums, with stars in every genre. Artists include Alanis Morrisette, Green Day, Quincy Jones, Eric Clapton, Beck, Phil Collins, Aerosmith, Aretha Franklin, Foo Fighters, Sheryl Crow, Frank Sinatra, Faith Hill, Frank Zappa, Mary J Blige and Count Basie.
Steven Miller is a pioneer in the field of digital audio. As a Grammy nominated producer/engineer/arranger, he helped build Windham Hill Records from a tiny audiophile label into a prestigious industry leader. In addition, he co-founded both the Hip Pocket/Windham Hill Jazz and RCA/Novus labels. Platinum artists he has worked with include Dave Matthews Band, Suzanne Vega, Backstreet Boys, Pink, George Winston, Switchfoot, Manhattan Transfer, Toad The Wet Sprocket and Paula Cole.
Discrete Recording/Mixing Technique
Audiophile gurus, Allen Sides and Steven Miller developed a unique, discrete multi microphone recording and mixing technique. Utilizing up to 13 separate mono and stereo sound sources per instrument (including 3 sets of stereo room mics), this technique captures the sound of each instrument with startling audiophile clarity and enables the end user to independently adjust each drum and cymbal within the kit from tight and dry, all the way to wide and ambient.
Microphones used for recording Ocean Way Drums were hand picked by Allen Sides from his personal collection.
- Kick: AKG D112, Neumann U47 Fet
- Snare Top: AKG C12A , Shure SM57 (custom)
- Snare Bottom: Sony 55P
- Hi Hat: Sony 55P
- Toms: AKG C12A
- Overheads: AKG C12
- Rooms: Telefunken U47, Neumann M50, Telefunken Elam 251, Neumann KM 54
All audio was recorded through Studio B's custom, one-of-a-kind console, considered to be the most astonishingly clear board in existence. Very little EQ or compression was used, but when it was, highly modified classic gear from Neve, API, Urei, and Fairchild was utilized.
Natural Room Acoustics
The drums were placed in the rear right corner of historic Studio B, considered by most producers and engineers to be the "sweet spot" with the most low end punch.
Because the wonderful acoustics, each instrument was able to be recorded at the optimal distance and angle and with the microphones that best captured the full frequency and dynamic range of that instrument.
The multiple sets of stereo room mics picked up the room's natural ambience at various distances from the drums. Each separate room source presents its own unique sonic color, and when the various room sources are blended together, they present unlimited tonal options.
Allen Sides and Steven Miller created 6 "mix presets" per drum kit to instantly provide killer sounding, record quality mixes. Presets can be instantly changed either as an entire set, or, individually per instrument within a drum set. There are 6 separate pre sets for both the mono snare drum (57) and the stereo snare drum (C12A).
Beyond the presets, adjustments can easily be made and saved to all of the individual sound sources within each instrument of every drum kit. This, along with control of pitch, pan, envelope, velocity and balance of the stereo submasters, gives users total control of the mix and provides unlimited possibilities.
Triggering Ocean Way Drums from existing audio is best accomplished in conjunction with Wave Machine Labs' Drumagog. You can transform any drum performance recorded in a less than optimum environment into that "major label" sound. Step by step instructions for both Mac and PC users are included in the manual.
Snare Presets: 57 and C12A
Six close microphones were used to record the snare drum - two AKG C12A´s about eighteen inches above the drum head, two custom SM57´s two inches from the head, and two Sony 55P´s five inches under the bottom head.
Since there are numerous ways in which to utilize the six mics, Ocean Way Drums offers two Presets which represent the opposite ends of the sonic spectrum. The "C12A" versions utilize both C12A´s in stereo (panned hard left and right) along with both under snare mics in stereo (also panned hard left and right). The "57" versions utilize one or the other custom 57 in mono without under snare mics. Many of the Pre Sets for both the "C12A" and "57" versions do include some amount of "Thwack," which is a highly compressed mic signal to be added to your dry, uncompressed drums.
Here is a list of 12 different mic combinations that Ocean Way Drums suggests you experiment with:
- Stereo C12A´s (L&R) with Stereo under snare mics (L&R) Preset
- Stereo C12A´s (L&R) with Mono under snare mic (C)
- Mono C12A (C) with Stereo under snare mics (L & R)
- Mono C12A (C) with Mono under snare mic (C)
- Stereo C12A´s (L&R) with no under snare mics
- Mono C12A (C) with no under snare mic
- Stereo 57´s (L&R) with Stereo under snare mics (L&R)
- Stereo 57´s (L&R) with Mono under snare mic (C)
- Mono 57 (C) with Stereo under snare mics (L&R)
- Mono 57 (C) with Mono under snare mic (C)
- Stereo 57´s (L&R) with no under snare mics
- Mono 57 (C) with no under snare mic Preset
Snare On and Snare Off
Snare On and Snare Off versions refer specifically to the sound of the Kick Drum and the Toms. "Snare On" means that the Kick and Toms include the rattle of the snare drum. "Snare Off" means that the snares were turned off during the striking of the Kick and Toms.
Ocean Way Drums is a multi-output virtual instrument. Every channel in the mixer can be routed to a separate stereo or mono input in your DAW. Even though the default is stereo, you have custom controll over your output configuration and can make simple pre sets for any and all situations.
Loading the Sounds
You can load the sounds of Ocean Way Drums either as individual instruments, or as entire drum kits.
Two types of patches are included: Instruments and Multis
- Instruments are individual drums (kick, snare, hat, toms, ride cymbal, crash cymbals.)
- Multis are entire Drum Kits - a combination of individual drums
- The Instruments and Multis are broken up into two folders labeled IMAP ( for use with a MIDI keyboard) and V-Drum (for use with drum pads). Within these folders, you have a choice of Snare On" and Snare Off" as well as a choice between the snare 57 and snare C12A presets.
Custom Drum Kits
Building custom kit multis are a snap. You can make changes to an existing kit or put together a kit from scratch. It´s easy to "mix and match" instruments from one kit with instruments from another. The sheer number of different kicks, snares, toms, hats and cymbals provides many possibilities.
Mapping / Performance
All drum kits and individual instruments come mapped for both MIDI keyboard and drum pads. Ocean Way Drums´ custom programming helps you perform realistic drum tracks - down to even the most subtle nuances of the groove. When choosing kits and individual instruments in the browser, you will see two options: V-Drum (drum pads) and I-MAP_GM (keyboard). Keyboard map users have the option of switching between I-MAP and GM on each instrument or the entire kit.
GM Map (General MIDI) is the standardized layout for MIDI keyboard. Most existing MIDI files are in this format.
I-MAP is a proprietary MIDI note-mapping layout for the keyboard that provides more performance variations and articulations than any other drum product. Featuring a powerful layout that places drums in their most intuitive position, I-MAP enables you to create incredibly expressive drum tracks that feel and sound like the real thing. Since I-MAP uses the same basic Kick, Snare and Hi Hat placement as GM (+ 1 octave), you can work with existing MIDI grooves in I-MAP mode to add a more life like feel to your grooves.
- Up to 32 dynamics per hit
- Left and right stick hits for every drum and cymbal - providing startling realism
- Dedicated keys for rolls, ghost notes, cymbal swells, alt hits, etc
- 8 keys for the positions of the snare - from center to edge
- 4 keys for the kicks
- 9 different hi hat variations from foot and closed to open
- 6 alternate hits per tom
- Efficient key switching for instantly changing presets
The V-Drum Map
The V-Drum Map has been carefully programmed to work with Roland´s TD-20 V-Drums electronic drum kit. It offers a high level of real performance variations and a comfortable range of positions for each instrument within the kit. It's loaded with a multitude of samples, which makes for great dynamics and serious playability.
V-Drum Map Features:
- Wide dynamic range
- Alternating "round robin" hits - avoids the "machine gun effect"
- 3 positions for the snare - center, edge and rim
- 2 positions for the toms - center and edge
- 9 positions for the hi hat - from foot and closed to open
- 3 positions for the cymbals - center, edge and bell
- Key-switching on the V-Drum brain - can change pre sets "on the fly"
- 19 multi-channel drum kits plus 7 additional kick drums
- 80GB of super high-resolution, 24-bit/96kHz samples pre-installed on a hard drive and includes the Gold Edition
- All-in-one, high resolution virtual drum instruments that include the OCEAN WAY EXPANDABLE PLAYER powered by Kontakt.
- Works with all major DAWS (supports RTAS, VST, Audio Units) and as stand alone software for both Mac and PC
- Recorded by Grammy Award winning engineer/producers Allen Sides and Steven Miller
- High-resolution audiophile samples at 24bit/48K and 24bit/96K
- Discrete multi-microphone recording and mixing technique
- Up to 13 separate mono and stereo sound sources per drum - enormous sonic flexibility
- Each kit with "album quality" mix presets made by Allen Sides and Steven Miller
- Each kit includes Kick, Snare, Hi Hat, Toms (sets of 3 & 4), Ride, Crash, Splash, and China Cymbals
- "Snare On" and "Snare Off" options
- "Mix and Match" individual instruments to create custom kit configurations
- Multi-output instrument - every channel can be routed to a separate stereo or mono input
- 2 expressive performance maps for the keyboard : GM and Sonic Reality's I-Map
- Most expressive map for Roland TD20 V-Drums - responding to position sensors
- Left and right stick hits with more performance elements than other drum plug-in
The Drum Kit instruments that set the standard for multichannel and stereo drum kits from the world's most awarded recording studio. Order today
Ocean Way Drums Platinum - Mac Specifications:
- System Requirements:
- Mac: OS 10.4.x, G4 2gHz or higher, 2GB RAM (for laptop use: samples must be on at least a 7200 RPM hard drive)
- For OWD Platinum: Available USB2 or FireWire 800 Port for streaming off the external HD, or at least 80GB of available HD space.
- Supports: VST OSX/Win, AU OSX, RTAS OSX
- To get the most out of Ocean Way Drums, a faster processor will be beneficial, and more RAM will give you much better results. Ocean Way Drums also uses disk streaming technology so faster hard drives will also give you better performance.