Anniversary reissue of an American classic.
The Royer R-121 is one of the legendary "go-to" studio microphones. It is a ribbon microphone that has proven to be an extremely effective microphone for capturing the nuances of electric guitar amps and cabinets, and is notoriously good for warming up trumpet signals and accurately representing the complex harmonic content of saxophones. Here the R-121 is offered with either of the custom shockmounts that are appropriate to the R-121: the RSM-1 and the RSM-SS1. You can of course just buy it with the standard clip, but you really should get a shock mount with it. When your signal is this clean, defined and rich, you don't want audio artifacts and strange noises finding their way onto your project. Additionally, this package features a retro version of the R-121, issued in its original finish along with a certificate of authenticity.
Released in 1998, the award-winning R-121 is Royer's flagship microphone; the world's first radically reengineered ribbon microphone and the model that reintroduced ribbon mics to engineers around the world. Royer did away with the large, heavy, fragile "classic" approach to ribbon microphones and went in a completely new direction. The R-121 gives all of the warmth and natural sound that experienced engineers have long turned to ribbon mics for, but in a compact, light-weight, high output and tough-as-nails package that was unheard of in a ribbon mic before the R-121. In its 10+ years in the market, thousands of R-121's have been sold around the world. It is well established as a standard for tracking electric guitar and brass.
The R-121 redefined ribbon microphones so completely that Recording Magazine wrote "...the Royer R-121 is destined to become one of the classic microphones of the 21st century."
- High SPL Capabilities
- No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element is not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high frequency phase distortion
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
Your main instrument mic is waiting. Order today.
R-121 Ribbon Microphone Specifications:
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 -15,000 Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: -50 dBv Re. 1v/pa
- Output Impedance: 300 Ohms @ 1K (nominal)
- Rated Load Impedance: >1500 Ohms @ 300 Ohms
- Maximum SPL: >135dB @ 20 Hz
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3 pin (Pin 2 Hot)
- Dimensions: 155.7mm L, 25mm W (6.13" L, 1" W)
- Weight: 244g (8.6 oz)