A handcrafted ribbon mic that delivers superior sound quality and exceptional performance.
The R-101 is a mono, passive ribbon microphone utilizing a patented offset-ribbon transducer and a 2.5-micron ribbon element. The R-101 is hand-built in Royer's Burbank, CA facility and delivered at a price point suitable for home studio use and live applications.
The R-101 is a new breed of modern ribbon microphone, designed for studio work and demanding live applications (particularly live electric guitar and brass). It incorporates many features pioneered by Royer Labs, including an advanced multi-layered wind screen for superior protection from air blasts and plosives, a patented offset-ribbon transducer, and an internally shock mounted ribbon transducer system which provides greater isolation from shocks and vibrations, and reduced proximity effect for closer miking with less bass buildup. Throw it on a guitar cabinet, hit record, play it back, smile.
The ribbon element's smooth frequency response and phase linearity impart a warm, analog feel to digital recordings, where the depth and realism on playback feels more like tape rolling than digits being computed. A perfect choice for electric guitars, brass instruments and drums, the R-101's figure-8 pattern also conveys superb ambience and depth when used for room miking applications.
Patented Offset Ribbon Technology
The R-101 incorporates Royer's patented offset-ribbon technology and a low mass, 2.5-micron aluminum (99.9% pure) ribbon element. The ribbon transducer's flux-frame and rare earth Neodymium magnets create a powerful magnetic field which increases sensitivity while reducing stray magnetic radiation.
The R-101's offset-ribbon transducer (Patent # 6,434,252) positions the ribbon element towards the front (logo) side of the microphone body. This proprietary arrangement gives the ribbon element more room to move within the prime magnetic field and maintain full frequency response during high SPL recordings. It's an integral part of the magic in all Royer R-series microphones.
The offset-ribbon transducer also gives you the option of a brighter response when recording lower SPL sound sources on the backside (3 feet and closer; phase reversed in this position). The backside of the mic is often preferred on vocals, acoustic guitars and other stringed instruments.
Like all Royer mics, the R-101 comes with a lifetime warranty to the original owner and the first re-ribbon is free.
- High SPL capabilities for electric guitar and percussion
- Multi-layered windscreen provides superior protection to ribbon element
- No internal electronics to overload or produce distortion up to
- maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high-frequency peaks, "ringing" and phase shifts
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Lifetime warranty, 1st re-ribbon is free
- Applications:Close mikingElectric & acoustic guitarsDrum overheads, kick drum Percussion instrumentsBrass, horn sectionsStrings-solo & sectionsAcoustic pianoVocalsLive events-recording and sound reinforcement
Order a versatile ribbon mike for stage and studio today!
R-101 Ribbon Mic Specifications:
- Acoustic Operating Principle: electro-dynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5 micron aluminum ribbon
- Frequency Range: 30HZ – 15,000HZ ±3dB
- Sensitivity: -48 dBv Ref 1 v/pa
- Output Impedance: 300" (nominal) balanced
- Rated Load Impedance: 1500" or greater
- Maximum SPL: > 135dB
- Output Connector: male XLR 3-pin (Pin 2 Hot)
- Dimensions: 7.9" L X 1.4" W (200mm L X 36mm W)
- Weight: 483g (17 oz)
- Finish: matte black
- Accessories: shock mount, carrying case, mic sock
- Optional Accessories: Pop screen
- Microphone Warranty: lifetime to original owner (repair or replace
- at Royer's option)
- Ribbon Element Warranty: One Year