Beyerdynamic is one of few microphone manufacturers worldwide that still produce ribbon microphones. The M 160 dynamic double ribbon mic brings you the sonic characteristics of classic ribbon mics with a modern twist. Thanks to the double-ribbon design, the M 160 has an ultra-fast transient response, which gives you superior detail while maintaining the smooth highs that ribbons are famous for. The M 160 is an outstanding microphone that's very effective for all types of remote and in-studio vocal reproduction. In the recording studio, the M 160 is recommended for miking string instruments such as violins, violas, cellos and for pianos, saxophones as well as for hi-hat and toms. It can effectively handle sound sources from pianissimo to mezzo forte. The non-glare black surface of the M 160 and its small dimensions allow unobtrusive use in TV or film studios.
When used in conjunction with the Beyerdynamic M 130 figure-8, double ribbon mic, the M 160's matched sound and hypercardioid polar pattern (side attenuation of 25dB at 110 degrees) makes it an ideal "mid" mic for recording in stereo with the M-S (Mid-Side) technique.
- Unique double ribbon microphone transducer
- Hypercardioid polar pattern
- Extended frequency response
- Excellent transparency and transient response
- Compact and rugged design
- Warm and natural sound
- Applications; Instrumental miking such as saxophone, miking of drums (toms, hi-hat), MS-stereophony with M 130
A very versatile addition to your mic locker. Order today .
M 160 Dynamic Double Ribbon Microphone Specifications:
- Transducer type: Dynamic
- Operating principle: Pressure gradient
- Frequency response (distant micing) : 40 - 18,000 Hz
- Polar pattern: Hypercardioid
- Side attenuation: > 25 dB at 110 degrees
- Open circuit voltage at 1 kHz (0dB = 1V/Pa) : 1.0 mV/Pa _ -60 dBV
- Nominal impedance: 200 ohms
- Load impedance: ≥ 1000 ohms
- Diaphragm: Pure aluminum
- Case/finish: Brass
- Connector: 3-pin XLR male
- Length: 156 mm
- Shaft diameter: 23 mm
- Head diameter: 38 mm
- Weight without cable: 156 g
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
Comments about Beyerdynamic M 160 Dynamic Double Ribbon Microphone:
I bought the m 160 to record some electric and nylon string guitar and this mic is it. It really excels at bringing something special to the table. It has a very accurate and natural sound which what I was gong for. No shrill highs or boxy sounding mids. It has a very smooth top end and sounds incredible if you find the sweet spot. I had it for three months and this one is definatly a keeper. The usual high quality standards that you can expect from Beyerdynamic. Looking forward to record some more and use this with on different sound sources. Love Ribbons then you will love this classic M 160 !