Zoom TAC-2 Two Channel Thunderbolt Interface
- Write a Review
- Seen a Lower Price? Click Here.
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
Bus-pwered audio interface.
In today's world, speed is everything. The blazingly fast Zoom TAC-2 interface uses the latest Thunderbolt™ technology for ultra-low latency and the ultimate in high-quality audio, up to 24-bit/192kHz. Lightweight and portable, the TAC-2 is also easy to use, with a single large rotary knob controlling all parameters.
Thunderbolt: The ultimate in high-speed connectivity
More than twice as fast as USB 3.0—not to mention twenty times faster than USB 2.0 and twelve times faster than Firewire 800—Thunderbolt is the interconnection technology of the future. Co-developed by Apple and Intel Labs, it allows signal to be transferred at an incredibly fast 10 gigabits per second, which means virtually no latency.* Thunderbolt interfaces such as the TAC-2 are also unaffected by computer jitter (slight variations in timing), so there's no need to connect an external master clock source.
The TAC-2 performs 4-times upsampling during both analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion. In other words, when the sampling frequency is set to 44.1kHz or 48kHz, the TAC-2 processes the signal at high resolution 176.4kHz or 192kHz. For A/D conversion, this means less aliasing noise; for D/A conversion, this means increased clarity and fidelity.
* Latency time in the TAC-2 is just 4.17 msec round trip when operating at a 44.1kHz sampling rate with a 64 sample buffer size.
The Ins and Outs
The Thunderbolt port on the rear panel carries digital signal to and from your computer as well as carrying power to the TAC-2. Two combo XLR/TRS inputs are provided for the connection of mic- and line-level signals, and there's a handy Hi-Z (high impedance) unbalanced input on the front panel for direct connection of passive electric guitars and basses using a standard ¼" guitar cable. The TAC-2 also offers two balanced TRS output jacks which allow you to connect the TAC-2 to your monitors, as well as a dedicated ¼" stereo headphone jack.
The TAC-2's single rotary control knob is used to set input, output and headphone levels and to provide +48 volts of phantom power to the selected input, allowing you to use the TAC-2 with any kind of microphone, from low-cost dynamics to expensive studio-quality condensers. Seven-position LEDs show continuous signal strength as well as input/output overload clipping.
Zoom TAC-2 MixEfx
TAC-2 MixEfx is a free Macintosh application designed specially for the TAC-2. With TAC-2 MixEfx, you can set mix parameters and add high-quality effects such as reverb and echo. Other features include a low cut filter, phase reverse, AUTO GAIN control for each input. There's also a LOOPBACK function that allows you to blend the input signal and playback signal for zero latency. TAC-2 MixEfx has three memory slots for saving user settings with quick recall.
- 2-in/2-out high speed Thunderbolt. audio interface
- Support for recording and playback up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Ultra-low latency audio streaming
- Two combo balanced XLR/TRS input connectors
- +48V phantom power for each input
- Hi-Z input jack allows direct connection of electric guitar or bass
- Two balanced TRS output jacks for connection to ampliers or self-powered speakers
- Dedicated headphone jack with independent level control
- High-performance Burr Brown mic preamps with up to +60dB of amplication
- Simple user interface: All operations controlled by a single rotary knob
- Bus powered: No AC power required
- DSP Virtual mixer
TAC-2 Two Channel Thunderbolt Interface Specifications:
- INPUT 1/2 connectors
- Type: XLR/TRS combo jacks
- (XLR: 2 hot / TRS: TIP hot)
- Input gain: 0, 9 to 60 dB (3dB step)
- Input impedance: 3kΩ
- Maximum input level: +12 dBu (@0dBFs)
- Phantom power: +48V
- Hi-Z (INPUT1) connector
- Type: 1/4" phone jack
- Input impedance: 1MΩ
- Maximum input level: +10 dBu (@0dBFs)
- L/R connector
- Type: 1/4" TRS phone jack (Balanced)
- Maximum output level: +14 dBu (@0dBFs)
- Output impedance: 100Ω
- PHONES connector
- Type: 1/4" stereo phone jack
- 20mW + 20mW (into 32Ω load)
- Maximum output level: +8 dBu (@0dBFs)
- Output impedance: 30Ω
- Audio channels (recording): 2
- Audio channels (playback): 2
- S/N ratio EIN: 125dB (IHF-A) @ 60dB, 150Ω input
- Sampling frequency: 192kHz, 176.4kHz, 96kHz, 88.2kHz, 48kHz, 44.1kHz
- Bit depth: 24-bit
- AD/DA conversion
- Type: 4x upsampling
- Chipset: Burr Brown PCM4202 (A/D)
- AKM AK4396 (D/A)
- Frequency response: -2.0 dB: 20 Hz - 60 kHz @ 192kHz
- -2.0 dB: 20 Hz - 40 kHz @ 96kHz
- -2.0 dB: 20 Hz - 20 kHz @ 44.1kHz
- Dynamic range
- A/D: 118dB typical (IHF-A)
- D/A: 120dB typical (IHF-A)
- Interface: Thunderbolt
- Power: Thunderbolt Bus Power
- Dimensions: 129.5mm(D) x 120.0mm(W) x 51.3mm (H)
- Weight: 420g
- Included with the TAC-2:
- Operation manual
- Thunderbolt cable (1m)