Zoom TAC-2 Two Channel Thunderbolt Interface
- Write a Review
- Seen a Lower Price? Click Here.
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
Bus-pwered audio interface.
In today's world, speed is everything. The blazingly fast Zoom TAC-2 interface uses the latest Thunderbolt technology for ultra-low latency and the ultimate in high-quality audio, up to 24-bit/192kHz. Lightweight and portable, the TAC-2 is also easy to use, with a single large rotary knob controlling all parameters.
Thunderbolt: The ultimate in high-speed connectivity
More than twice as fast as USB 3.0-not to mention twenty times faster than USB 2.0 and twelve times faster than Firewire 800-Thunderbolt is the interconnection technology of the future. Co-developed by Apple and Intel Labs, it allows signal to be transferred at an incredibly fast 10 gigabits per second, which means virtually no latency.* Thunderbolt interfaces such as the TAC-2 are also unaffected by computer jitter (slight variations in timing), so there's no need to connect an external master clock source.
The TAC-2 performs 4-times upsampling during both analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion. In other words, when the sampling frequency is set to 44.1kHz or 48kHz, the TAC-2 processes the signal at high resolution 176.4kHz or 192kHz. For A/D conversion, this means less aliasing noise; for D/A conversion, this means increased clarity and fidelity.
* Latency time in the TAC-2 is just 4.17 msec round trip when operating at a 44.1kHz sampling rate with a 64 sample buffer size.
The Ins and Outs
The Thunderbolt port on the rear panel carries digital signal to and from your computer as well as carrying power to the TAC-2. Two combo XLR/TRS inputs are provided for the connection of mic- and line-level signals, and there's a handy Hi-Z (high impedance) unbalanced input on the front panel for direct connection of passive electric guitars and basses using a standard Â¼" guitar cable. The TAC-2 also offers two balanced TRS output jacks which allow you to connect the TAC-2 to your monitors, as well as a dedicated Â¼" stereo headphone jack.
The TAC-2's single rotary control knob is used to set input, output and headphone levels and to provide +48 volts of phantom power to the selected input, allowing you to use the TAC-2 with any kind of microphone, from low-cost dynamics to expensive studio-quality condensers. Seven-position LEDs show continuous signal strength as well as input/output overload clipping.
Zoom TAC-2 MixEfx
TAC-2 MixEfx is a free Macintosh application designed specially for the TAC-2. With TAC-2 MixEfx, you can set mix parameters and add high-quality effects such as reverb and echo. Other features include a low cut filter, phase reverse, AUTO GAIN control for each input. There's also a LOOPBACK function that allows you to blend the input signal and playback signal for zero latency. TAC-2 MixEfx has three memory slots for saving user settings with quick recall.
- 2-in/2-out high speed Thunderbolt. audio interface
- Support for recording and playback up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Ultra-low latency audio streaming
- Two combo balanced XLR/TRS input connectors
- +48V phantom power for each input
- Hi-Z input jack allows direct connection of electric guitar or bass
- Two balanced TRS output jacks for connection to ampliers or self-powered speakers
- Dedicated headphone jack with independent level control
- High-performance Burr Brown mic preamps with up to +60dB of amplication
- Simple user interface: All operations controlled by a single rotary knob
- Bus powered: No AC power required
- DSP Virtual mixer
TAC-2 Two Channel Thunderbolt Interface Specifications:
- INPUT 1/2 connectors
- Type: XLR/TRS combo jacks
- (XLR: 2 hot / TRS: TIP hot)
- Input gain: 0, 9 to 60 dB (3dB step)
- Input impedance: 3kÎ©
- Maximum input level: +12 dBu (@0dBFs)
- Phantom power: +48V
- Hi-Z (INPUT1) connector
- Type: 1/4" phone jack
- Input impedance: 1MÎ©
- Maximum input level: +10 dBu (@0dBFs)
- L/R connector
- Type: 1/4" TRS phone jack (Balanced)
- Maximum output level: +14 dBu (@0dBFs)
- Output impedance: 100Î©
- PHONES connector
- Type: 1/4" stereo phone jack
- 20mW + 20mW (into 32Î© load)
- Maximum output level: +8 dBu (@0dBFs)
- Output impedance: 30Î©
- Audio channels (recording): 2
- Audio channels (playback): 2
- S/N ratio EIN: 125dB (IHF-A) @ 60dB, 150Î© input
- Sampling frequency: 192kHz, 176.4kHz, 96kHz, 88.2kHz, 48kHz, 44.1kHz
- Bit depth: 24-bit
- AD/DA conversion
- Type: 4x upsampling
- Chipset: Burr Brown PCM4202 (A/D)
- AKM AK4396 (D/A)
- Frequency response: -2.0 dB: 20 Hz - 60 kHz @ 192kHz
- -2.0 dB: 20 Hz - 40 kHz @ 96kHz
- -2.0 dB: 20 Hz - 20 kHz @ 44.1kHz
- Dynamic range
- A/D: 118dB typical (IHF-A)
- D/A: 120dB typical (IHF-A)
- Interface: Thunderbolt
- Power: Thunderbolt Bus Power
- Dimensions: 129.5mm(D) x 120.0mm(W) x 51.3mm (H)
- Weight: 420g
- Included with the TAC-2:
- Operation manual
- Thunderbolt cable (1m)