Tube-Tech SMC 2BM Mastering Multi-Band Compressor
Compressors & Limiters
- Write a Review
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
The world's only all-tube based multiband mastering compressor!
The Tube-Tech SMC 2BM is the only all-tube based stereo mastering compressor that features multiband compression. Designed specifically for mastering, it offers Tube-Tech's renowned sound quality and precision, plus greater flexibility for the mastering engineer. Based on Tube-Tech's SMC 2B, the SMC 2BM adds matched resistor level controls for precise replication of previously used settings. The 12 step-matched resistor gain controls on the SMC 2BM guarantee channel to channel and recall accuracy within 0.1 dB. Side-chain controls employ 31-detent potentiometers. The unit includes variable crossover points for precise control of all three bands of opto-compression. Independent band-specific threshold, ratio, attack, release and gain parameters make the unit flexible, as well as accurate.
Tube-Tech SMC 2BM Stereo Multiband Compressor, First Take:
Three independent optical stereo compressors
3-bands with adjustable crossover points
Balanced I/O and Floating Transformers
Three Independent Optical Stereo Compressors
The rackmount Tube-Tech SMC 2BM Stereo Multiband Compressor features three independent optical stereo compressors. The three compressors feature Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release, and Gain controls, and a display showing gain reduction. Master levels are set with Output Gain and Balance controls.
Three bands with Adjustable Crossover Points
The signal is divided into three bands (Low, Mid & High) by 6dB/octave crossover networks with 12 selectable frequencies: 60 — 1200Hz for Low/Mid band and 6 selectable frequencies: 1.2 — 6.0 Hz for the Mid/High band. The design of the crossover networks optimizes the summing of all three bands, resulting in a flat frequency response (within +/-0.25 dB), when the gain controls for each band are set at the same level. The two crossover frequencies are made with a single RC circuit thereby preserving optimum summation of the three bands at the output.
Balanced I/O and Floating Transformers
Both Input and Output are balanced and have fully floating transformers with a static screen. This provides maximum electronic isolation for superior noise rejection. The power supply and the sidechain circuit are based on a solid state circuit. With the exception of the output stage all DC voltages are stabilized.
For over twenty years, Tube Tech has been one of the most prominent names in all-tube signal processing equipment. You'll find their gear in the best recording and mastering studios around the world. The company's founder, John Petersen is an electrical engineer who was factory trained at Solid State Logic, EMT, Studer, Sony, Neumann, and NTP Electonik (digital audio routers). He also designed tape recorder playback/recording amps for Lyrec tape recorders (found in the studios of the legendary Joe Meek and Vangelis). His first design under the name of Tube-Tech was an all-tube equalizer based on the legendary Pultec EQP 1A. Petersen continued to design and manufacture a number of innovative all-tube outboard processors including preamps, multiband compressors and summing amps. Thanks to John's dedication to high-quality analog sound you'll see Tube-Tech gear in the racks of pro audio legends such as multi Grammy Award winner Al Schmitt, (Frank Sinatra, Steely Dan, Toto, Quincy Jones, Natalie Cole, Diana Krall), Grammy winner Joe Chiccarelli, (Elton John, Beck, U2, Tori Amos, Counting Crows, Offspring), engineer Russ Long (Sixpence None The Richer, Wilco, Dolly Parton, Allison Moorer), producer-engineer Tony Shepperd (Elton John, Madonna, Kenny Loggins, Barbra Streisand, Lionel Richie, and Whitney Houston), and many more.
- The world's only "all tube based" multiband compressor design
- Three bands per channel with variable crossover frequencies between bands
- Stereo sidechain with variable Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release and Gain controls for all three bands
- Master Output Gain (off to +10 dB)
- Balance Control (+/-1,5 dB)
- LED display showing compression
- Freq. response @ -3 dB: 5 Hz to 60 kHz
- Low noise: Potentiometers with 31 detents for Threshold, Ratio, Attach, Release and Balance
- Gain controls with 12 positions gold plated switches
- Frequency switches with 6 positions gold plated switches
- Clickless bypass relay
For stereo mastering tube warmth and precision control, choose the Tube-Tech SMC 2BM.
SMC 2BM Mastering Multi-Band Compressor Specifications:
- Input Impedance: 2k ohm
- Output Impedance: 60 ohm
- Frequency response @ -3 dB: 5 Hz to 60 kHz
- Distortion THD+N @ 40 Hz: 0 dBu 0.15 %, +10 dBu 0.15 %
- Noise Rg=200 ohm: 22 Hz-22 kHz; -70 dBu (Output Gain @ 0dB ), -60 dBu (Output Gain @ +10 dB): CCIR-468-4; -60 dBu (Output Gain @ 0dB), -50 dBu (Output Gain @ +10 dB)
- Cross talk @ 10 kHz: -40 dB
- CMRR @ 10 kHz: -60 dB
- Max. output @ 1 % THD+N: > +26 dBu
- Gain Output: of-1 to +10 dB; Low-, Mid-, & High band; -1 to +10 dB
- Tracking between channels: 0,1 dB
- X-over frequencies: Low & Mid band: 60, 100, 200, 300 Hz (x1); 0.24, o.4, 0.54, o.8, 1.0, 1.2 kHz (x4)
- Mid & High band: 1.2, 2.0, o.3, 4.0, 4.8, 6.0 kHz (x1)
- Compressor Ratio: 1.5:1 to 10:1
- Compressor Threshold: off to -20 dBu
- Compressor Attack: 3 ms to 200 ms
- Compressor Release: 60 ms to 2 s
- Tubes: ECC 81 4 pc, ECC 82 2 pc. ECC 83 2 pc
- Dimensions H x W x D: 5.2" x 19" x 8.1" (132 mm x 480 mm x 205 mm)
- Weight: 13.7 lbs (6.2 kg)
- Power requirements @ 115 V/230 V, 50-60 Hz: 30-45 W