Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5016 Dual Mic Pre/DI ModuleProduct #482646 Rupert Neve Designs 482646 YFG Microphone Preamps https://www.esnapw.com/rses/ESnapServlet?MerchantNumberSent=63655
- Write a Review
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
- Buy New
This product has been discontinued but may be available as a used item.
Neve preamp and DI lets you use both the preamp and DI channel simultaneously.
The Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5016 is a half rack, 1U module with a microphone preamplifier and a DI. The Portico 5016 lets you use the preamp and DI separately or together to provide an innovative and powerful approach to recording musical instruments. Both channels of the Portico 5016 are transformer coupled, which greatly assists with the avoidance of hum loops and ensures the classic musical sweetness for which Neve Designs Portico modules are well-known.
And, saving you the cost of a separate phase alignment tool (which sells for almost half the price of the Portico 5016), the DI includes a powerful new Phase-Rotate control that allows the direct Input to be manually phase-aligned in relation to the microphone signal.
The Neve Portico 5016 may be racked in the control room or placed out on the studio floor. It includes a full-featured, transformer-coupled microphone preamplifier identical to the Portico 5012 with Silk, a swept High Pass Filter from 20-250Hz, 48V Phantom, Phase Reverse and a total of 72dB of Gain. The independent DI channel provides selectable Instrument or Line level inputs, with up to 35dB of gain for the instrument input.
Portico Series Awards:
Rupert Neve Designs has been honored with three TEC Awards since its inception in 2005. The Portico 5015 Mic Pre/Compressor (#482645) won for achievement in the category of Mic Preamplifier Technology. The Portico 5042 "True Tape" Emulator #482649) won for achievement in the category of Signal Processing Technology/Hardware. The 5088 Discrete Analogue Mixer won for achievement in the category of Large Format Console Technology.
Rupert Neve Designs received the Mix Certified Hit Award in 2006 for the 5088 Console and the Portico Range.
Rupert Neve Designs received the Future Music Platinum Award for the Portico Range in 2007.
Direct Input Amplifier
The Portico 5016 DI channel accepts either Instrument or Line level signals via a balanced TRS jack on the front faceplate. When Instrument level is selected, the input impedance is 3 Megohms and the gain range is +20dB to +40dB.
When the Line Input is selected the input impedance is 10k ohm, and the gain range is from 10dB to +10dB, better suited for keyboards or instruments with on-board electronics. This input can also be used to monitor playback when comparing phase adjustments.
Transformers greatly reduce grounding issues when using unbalanced equipment, however a ground lift switch is available on the front panel if ground loops cannot otherwise be avoided. There is also a thru output provided on the front faceplate enabling a buffered and unbalanced unity gain signal to be sent to an external amplifier.
Acoustically derived signals from a microphone can never be exactly phase-coherent when combining signals from a stringed instrument pickup or an electronic keyboard. When the loudspeaker of a guitar amplifier is used with a microphone, further phase inconsistencies arise.
It is also commonplace to use both a direct signal and at least one microphone signal to capture the instrument in addition to a desired level of ambience.
The Neve Portico 5016 Variable Phase feature allows phase to be rotated over a very wide range. When combined with the Phase Reverse switch on the Microphone channel, very powerful control over musical instrument recording is available.
Microphone Amplifier Section
The microphone input is identical with the Portico 5012. It uses a balanced, but not floating transformer configuration. The microphone is presented with a very high input impedance that is protected with a toroidal common-mode-rejection low-pass filter to exclude frequencies above 150kHz. The Microphone preamplifier thus uniquely permits a full +25dBu input signal to be handled at unity gain without an input pad over the whole audio spectrum. The advantages of both an electronically balanced, and true transformer input, are obtained without the noise tradeoff of the usual pad solution.
When the phantom voltage is switched off, the microphone input serves as a very high-quality line input with an impedance of 10,000 ohms.
If you'd like to rackmount a single Portico, Neve offers the Half Rack Joining Kit (see #482654). Or to rackmount two Portico units, Neve offers its Horizontal Joining Kit (see #482653). Another option for mounting single half rack units is the Raxxess Universal Rack Shelf (see #421642).
Mr. Rupert Neve — the grandfather of pro audio
If anyone could be considered for the title, "Grandfather of Pro Audio," the first name that would leap to mind would be Mr. Rupert Neve.
Recognized as the developer of the modern mixing console, Rupert's handiwork is found in thousands of studios around the world.
In 1997, Rupert became one of a very few personal recipients of a Technical Grammy award. In awarding his Grammy, the Recording Academy acknowledged Rupert's profound impact on the industry:
Mr. Rupert Neve Grammy Honors
"For setting the standard for quality sound reproduction through his engineering and his innovative designs, which have made possible unparalleled advances in the quality of recorded sound; in recognition of his influence on a generation of audio designers; and for his dedication to purity of audio reproduction."
The morning following the amazing Grammy Awards ceremony in February 1997, Rupert and Evelyn Neve hired a stretch limo to take them to the airport. After all, for that day at least, Rupert was a star. Carrying the coveted Grammy Trophy in its distinctive blue Tiffany bag, they headed for security.
"What is this?" the security guard asked, puzzled by the strange image on her screen. "It's our Grammy," Rupert replied. The girl looked startled and in hushed tones said, "I'm so sorry sir. You'll have to check this. We can't carry ashes in the cabin."
"No, no, no," Rupert explained. "My Grammy - not Granny. Have a look if you like." She opened it up and for a moment security at the airport came to a standstill as girls screamed and all gazed in awe at the beautiful replica gramophone. It was almost the best moment of the whole proceeding.
Mix Magazine Hall of Fame
In 1989, Rupert was inducted into the Mix Magazine Tech Awards Hall of Fame in recognition of his lifetime contribution to excellence in recording and sound.
An Elite Fraternity
In 1999 he was honored as "Man of the Century" by Studio Sound magazine. It is Rupert's prized honor to have been selected by his peers in the Pro Audio business as number one Audio Personality of the 20th Century.
At the turn of the century, Studio Sound conducted a survey inviting readers to vote for the Top Ten personalities of the industry in various disciplines. The first was Audio Personality.
The Audio Century: Top Ten Audio Personalities of the 20th Century
1. Rupert Neve - champion of audio quality
2. Ray Dolby - household name
3. Sir George Martin - people's producer
4. Willi Studer - tape machine pioneer
5. Colin Saunders - founder of SSL
6. Alan Blumlein — inventor
7. Georg Neumann - microphone Designer
8. Michael Gerzon - mathematician
9. Valdemar Poulsen — inventor
10. Les Paul - guitars and multitracks
- Mic preamp/DI module
- individually selectable phase, mute, phantom Ppwer and a fully sweepable high pass filter
- "Silk" circuit which yields rich warmth and presence
- Accepts either instrument or line level signals
- Phase adjust attenuator
- Provides 48v phantom power to microphones
- Compact half rack 1U module
- Heavy duty construction
A mic channel and a DI channel dripping with Neve tone and powerful features at price within reach of most project studios — who could ask for more?
Portico 5016 Dual Mic Pre/DI Module Specifications:
- Input: Balanced, using "Transformer-Like-Amplifier" (T.L.A.) with toroidal Common Mode Rejection Low Pass Filter that excludes frequencies above 150 kHz. When the phantom voltage is disabled, this input serves as a very high quality Line Input.
- Input Impedance: 10,000 Ohms + or — 20%
- Measured at Main Output: Input terminated with 150 Ohms.
- Measured over band limited 22Hz-22kHz, Unweighted (With Gain at Unity): Better than —100 dBu.: With Gain at 66 dB: Better than —62 dBu
- Equivalent Input Noise (E.I.N.): Better than —128 dBu
- Frequency Response: Main Output, no load: @ 10 Hz, —0.2 dB; @ 160 kHz
- —3 dB
- Buss Output: @ 10 Hz —0.2 dB; @ 160 kHz —3 dB
- High Pass Filter: Swept Frequency continuously variable from 20 Hz to 250 Hz.
- Slope: 12 dB/Octave.
- Gain: Switched Gain from Unity to +66dB in 6 dB steps.
- "Trim": Continuously adjustable potentiometer from —6dB to +6dB with reference to setting on the Gain Switch.
- Maximum Output Level: Balanced and Floating Transformer Output from 20 Hz to 40 kHz: +25 dBu. (Clips at just over +26 dBu)
- Mute: Mutes Main Output only. (i.e. Monitor remains "Live")
- Total Harmonic Distortion and Noise: Main Output @ 1kHz, +20 dBu output level, no load: Better than 0.001%.
- (No high order Harmonics)
- Silk Engaged: Approximately 0.2% Second Harmonic
- Main Output @ 20Hz, +20 dBu output level, no load: Better than 0.01%.
- Buss Output: @ 1kHz, +20 dBu output level, no load, measured at the output:
- Better than 0.002%.
- SILK: The 5016 uses single-sided amplifier circuitry that excludes any possibility of crossover distortion. The "SILK" button reduces negative feedback and adjusts the frequency spectrum to provide a very sweet and musical performance.
- Buss Output: The Buss Output is designed to feed other Portico™ Series modules with Buss Inputs.
- Crosstalk: Measured Channel to Channel: Better than —90 dB @ 15kHz.
- Phantom Power: +48 Volts DC ±1%
- Main Power Required (From External Power Unit):Voltage Range, 9 to 18 Volts DC.
- Current consumption: @ 9VDC = 1.3 A typical; @12VDC = 1A typical
- @15VDC= 800 mA typical; @18VDC= 650 mA typical
- Rear Panel Power Connector: 5.5mm X 2.1mm DC jack, Center Positive