- Buy New
This product has been discontinued but may be available as a used item.
High-performance 8 x 8 AES/EBU at 192kHz, MIDI, word clock, and RME's TotalMix software.
The RME HDSPe AES is a short-length PCI Express soundcard with AES/EBU I/O. It provides 8 AES inputs (16 channels) and 8 AES outputs (16 channels) at 192kHz sample rate. The HDSPe AES card is also equipped with two MIDI I/O ports and word clock I/O.
The HDSPe AES is RME's reaction to requests from audio professionals for an AES-based card with the typical RME features and quality. This audio card is an all-in-one solution for professional users in the fields of broadcast, TV, theater, stage/PA—and in any professional studio.
The card's main board contains word clock I/O and a 25-pin D-sub connector, providing 4 AES inputs and 4 AES outputs via standard digital breakout cable (Tascam pinout). The word clock input is isolated via transformer and operates on Single, Double, and Quad Speed signals automatically. The expansion board adds audio channels 9-16 and a connector for a MIDI breakout Cable with 2 MIDI I/Os (four 5-pin DIN connectors). It does not require a PCIe slot.
The card is not based on a PCI to PCI Express bridge, which would simply add PCIe to existing PCI technology. It is a special PCI Express solution which consequently takes full advantage of the new format, achieving significant performance gains in multitrack audio and lower latency.
The DSP-based TotalMix mixer enables the AES to route and mix all 16 inputs and 16 playback channels to all 16 physical outputs freely, offering extraordinary monitoring capabilities. Up to 8 fully independent stereo submixes can be created. Routings can be copied and pasted, faders ganged and grouped, which, along with the amazing matrix window, turns the AES into a powerful and easy-to-use re-distributor, patchbay, router, converter, and splitter. The hardware-based mixer is fully MIDI-controllable. Furthermore, the DSP hardware calculates RMS and peak level meters for all 48 audio channels, with no measurable CPU load.
The card's most important settings are stored on the card itself. Rather than operating in a default mode from the moment the computer is switched on until the driver is loaded, the card will immediately activate the last used sampling rate, master/slave configuration, and AES format. This eliminates any startup noise or problems in the clock network, both at system start and reboot.
The PCI Express interface of the HDSPe system is based on the PCI Express Base Specification v 1.1. It represents a 1-Lane PCI Express Endpoint Device and supports 2.5Gbps line speed. Thanks to the packet-based full duplex communication, the card provides a transfer rate of up to 500 MB/s - 250 MB/s in every direction.
Just click on the hammer symbol in the systray of the taskbar and the settings dialog of the HDSPe AES comes up. The clear structured, easy-to-understand window and the unique informative status windows for input signal, clock mode, and sample rate make your work with Hammerfall DSP a real pleasure.
When working with several digital sources it is not only necessary to know if these are properly locked, but also if they are totally synchronized. RME's exclusive SyncCheck checks all input signals and displays their actual state, and, with the Intelligent Clock Control (ICC) concept, you have all clocks and states under control—with ease.
SteadyClock, RMEs unique sync, and clock technology allows the HDSPe AES to control the sample rate freely on its own. The Settings dialog includes a direct choice of the video and audio world's most often used sample rates. Additionally, two faders can be used to set the sample rate openly and in realtime, within the range of +/- 4% and +/- 0.4%.
Up to 3 cards of the HDSPe series can be used simultaneously, in any possible combination.
DIGICheck for Windows: Spectral Analyzer, professional level meter for 2, 8, or 16 channels, Vector Audio Scope, various other audio analysis tools.
Drivers: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/64 (full ASIO multi-client operation of WDM, GSIF 2.0 and ASIO 2.0), Mac OS X Intel (Core Audio and Core MIDI).
- Native support for Double and Quad Wire transfer
- Direct conversion between these formats
- SteadyClock for high jitter suppression and clock regeneration
- Intuitive and clearly laid-out user interface
- TotalMix: 512-channel mixer with 42-bit internal resolution
- 48 level meter Peak/RMS, hardware-computed
- 1-Lane PCI Express Endpoint device (not PCI Express to PCI Bridge), revision 1.1.
- 2.5 Gbps line speed
- Packet-based full-duplex communication (up to 500MB/s transfer rate)
- All settings changeable in real time
- Automatic and intelligent master/slave clock control
- Enhanced zero latency monitoring for latency-free submixes and perfect ASIO direct monitoring
- Sync sources: 8 x AES, word clock, internal
- Vari-pitch: by input signal or word clock
- Sample rates: 32kHz up to 192kHz, variable (Sync/word clock)
- Sample rate range: AES: 28kHz - 204kHz, word clock: 28kHz - 204kHz
- Jitter: Jitter sensitivity: PLL operates even at 100 ns jitter without problems
- Comes with DIGICheck, the ultimate measurement, analysis and test tool
- DIGICheck for Windows which includes Spectral Analyzer, professional level meter for 2, 8, or 16 channels, Vector Audio Scope, and various other audio analysis tools.
In response to professional requests — a convenient way to get AES/EBU digital into your DAW.
HDSPe AES Specifications:
- Input: 8 x AES, 2 x MIDI, word clock (BNC)
- Output: 8 x AES, 2 x MIDI, word clock (BNC)
- Input word clock: BNC, Signal Adaptation Circuit (functional from 1.2 Vpp input signal), termination via jumper
- Output word clock: BNC, low-impedance driver stage, 4 Vpp into 75 Ohms, short-circuit-proof
- MIDI input and output: via four 5-pin DIN jacks