PreSonus Audiobox 22VSL USB 2.0 Recording System
- Write a Review
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
Portable 24-bit/96kHz USB 2.0 audio/MIDI interface lets you record with near-zero-latency dynamics processing.
The AudioBox 22VSL introduces a new generation of PreSonus USB 2.0 audio/MIDI interfaces that take hardware/software integration to the logical next step. Using your computer CPU and PreSonus Virtual StudioLive (VSL) software, AudioBox VSL-series interfaces provide reverb and and delay effects and the same Fat Channel compression, limiting, semi-parametric EQ, and high-pass filter, as the PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 digital mixer— all with inaudible latency. Now you can monitor and record with or without real-time dynamics processing and EQ!
What’s so great about effects and processing on monitors?
Tracking without hearing effects and signal processing is like playing a video game with your eyes closed. Musicians rely on aural cues when performing, and their performance can vary depending on what they hear in their monitors. Adding just the right amount of compression, EQ, and reverb can make a huge difference in their ability to hear themselves clearly and to experience their performance as if it occurred in a natural space rather than in the artificial sonic environment of the studio. The result is a better performance and ultimately a better recording.
You have plenty of effects plug-ins for your DAW, but processing audio with a DAW takes more time than you might think. True, we’re talking milliseconds, but it’s long enough that if you put DAW effects in your studio monitors, you’ll hear the original sound slightly before the processed signal, which is very disorienting. That much delay might be acceptable for live gigs, where the band is playing together in an ambient space that has natural delay. But you can’t record that way in the studio.
Fortunately, PreSonus' engineering wizards have dramatically reduced processing delay in the AudioBox VSL series. The result: dynamics processing, EQ, reverb, and effects that feel real, with no audible delay.
And if you like what you hear, you can record with AudioBox VSL-series effects, too! These are the same high-quality StudioLive 16.0.2 Fat Channel dynamics processors and EQs that professional musicians, engineers, and producers record with every day.
Great processors are a PreSonus tradition
PreSonus didn’t invent the first audio interface with effects. They simply did it better and for less money. Sure, some interface manufacturers who don’t normally make signal processors have added a compressor, EQ and a few effects to their interfaces. But the AudioBox VSL series provides all that, plus a separate limiter, expander, and high-pass filter—and we’ve been making high-quality signal processors since 1995. The AudioBox VSL-series’ Virtual StudioLive (VSL)-based effects and Fat Channel processing have been extensively field-tested and proven popular by tens of thousands of StudioLive-series mixer users, including many top professionals.
Of great importance, thanks to VSL’s drag-and-drop convenience, adding processing and creating and loading presets is easy. Pro-level processing and superior ease of use mean you’ll get better results and have more fun!
High-end sound in a portable, roadworthy interface
Bus-powered, compact, and rugged, the AudioBox 22VSL offers two convenient front-panel mic/instrument combo inputs with global phantom power and provides two line-level outputs. It sports the same high-headroom Class A XMAX preamps as the StudioLive mixers and has 24-bit/96kHz converters with 114dB dynamic range for clear, clean audio. And it boasts PreSonus’ legendary 150 mW headphone output, which is loud enough to explode the oysters in a Po’-Boy sandwich. (Be careful with your level control!)
When we tell you PreSonus made the AudioBox 22VSL “rugged,” we’re not fooling! It employs the same heavy-duty steel case as the original AudioBox USB—the unit Presonus famously stomped, kicked, and drove over with a full-size truck before using it to make a very nice recording. (You can witness this in the video AudioBox USB Built for the Road.) Now that’s what we call “roadworthy.” And this mighty mite fits in just a third of a rackspace and can be screw-mounted to a standard rack tray (not included).
The flexibility and power of software
VSL enables you to easily manage the processing and mixing from your Mac or Windows PC and provides editor/librarian functions, making it simple to create and use a library of presets. To get you started, PreSonus included the same library of more than 50 Fat Channel presets that comes with StudioLive mixers. These presets were created by professional musicians and engineers and let you instantly set up dynamics processing and EQ for vocals, guitar, and much more.
Seamlessly integrated with the included Studio One™ Artist DAW and VSL, the AudioBox 22VSL interface works with virtually all Mac and Windows audio-recording software. And unlike most things nowadays, it’s very easy on your budget.
- 24-bit/96kHz 2 x 2 USB 2.0 recording interface
- 2 Class A XMAX mic / instrument preamps
- 2 instrument inputs
- 2 balanced main outputs
- Near-zero-latency monitoring with extensive signal processing thanks to…
- VSL (Virtual Studio Live): 4 x 2 DSP mixer with StudioLive16.0.2 Fat Channel dynamics processing and EQ for each analog input and its DAW return and two stereo effects buses with reverb and delay
- Over 50 Fat Channel DSP presets for enhancing instrument and vocal recordings
- Headphone amplifier
- Analog monitor mixing with playback/Input mix control knob
- Clip lights for both channels
- Globally switchable phantom power
- MIDI I/O
- Bus-powered via USB
- Rugged metal chassis
- Rack-mountable in 1/3 rack space
- Includes Studio One Artist software with unlimited track count
Get the next-generation USB 2.0 interface that gives you real-time, low-latency effects; rock-solid construction; and high-end audio for low-end prices: AudioBox 22VSL. Order today!
Audiobox 22VSL USB 2.0 Recording System Specifications:
- Minimum computer-system requirements:
- Windows Vista, Windows 7 (32- and 64-bit)
- Intel Pentium 4 1.6GHz processor or AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Turion) (2.8GHz or faster recommended)
- 1GB RAM (2GB or more recommended)
- Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later (32- and 64-bit)
- Intel Core 1 Solo 1.5GHz processor (Intel Core Duo or Intel Xeon processor recommended)
- 1GB RAM (2GB or more recommended)
- Windows and Macintosh Systems
- USB 2.0 Port
- Internet connection recommended
- DVD-ROM drive (required to install Studio One Artist)
- Microphone Inputs:
- Connector Type: Combo, XLR, female, balanced
- Mic Preamp EIN: -129dB, 20kHz BW, max gain, Rs=40 ohm, A-wtd
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz, ±0.3dB, unity gain
- THD+N: 0.005%, 0dBu, 1kHz, unity gain, 20kHz BW, A-wtd
- S/N Ratio: 94dB, 0dBu, 1kHz, unity gain, 20kHz BW, unwtd
- Gain Control Range: -15dB to +65dB
- Input Max Headroom: +10dBu, < 0.5% THD
- Input Impedance: 1.7k ohm
- Phantom Power: +48 VDC, 10mA total
- Instrument Inputs
- Connector Type: Combo, 1/4 TS, female, unbalanced
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20kHz, ±0.3dB, unity gain
- THD+N: 0.006%, 0dBu, 1kHz, unity gain, 20kHz BW, A-wtd
- S/N Ratio: 89dB, 0dBu, 1kHz, unity gain, 20kHz BW, unwtd
- Gain Control Range: -30dB to +50dB
- Input Max Headroom: +15dBu, < 0.5% THD
- Input Impedance: 1M ohm
- Analog Outputs
- Connector Type: 1/4" TRS, female, impedance balanced
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz, ±0.2dB
- THD+N: 0.002%, 1kHz, 20kHz BW, A-wtd
- S/N Ratio: 107dB, 1kHz, max gain, 20kHz BW, unwtd
- Output Level: +10dBu
- Output Impedance: 51 ohm
- Headphone Outputs:
- Connector Type: 1/4" TRS, female, stereo
- Maximum Power: 30mW/ch @ 60 ohm load
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz, ±0.5dB, max gain
- THD+N: 0.08%, 1kHz, max gain, 20kHz BW, A-wtd
- S/N Ratio: 90 dB, 1kHz, max gain, 20kHz BW, unwtd
- Type: USB bus-powered, +5 VDC, < 500mA
- Host Interface: USB 2.0 high-speed
- Bit Depth: 24-bit
- Sample Rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz
- Latency: 2.8ms - 6ms, analog in to out.
- ADC Dynamic Range: 114dB, 48kHz sample rate, A-wtd
- DAC Dynamic Range: 114dB, 48kHz sample rate, A-wtd
- 1/3U rack-mountable (with optional 3UMR rack-mounting system)
- Road-rugged construction with all-metal chassis and metal knobs
- Weight 1.6 lb. (0.7 kg)
- Powered via USB bus—no wall wart!