Manley Massive Passive Stereo EQ
- Write a Review
- Seen a Lower Price? Click Here.
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
With simple passive components that allow twice as much EQ with half the coloration.
The Manley Massive Passive is a two-channel, four-band equalizer with additional high-pass and low-pass filters. "Passive" refers to the tone-shaping part of this clever EQ design, which doesn't use any active circuitry. Only metal film resistors, film capacitors and hand-wound inductors sculpt the sound-kinda like a Pultec EQ on hyper-steroids. Super-beefy, hugely-high-headroom Manley all-tube make-up gain amplifiers deliver your tunes into the next realm.
Creating natural, organic, acoustic tone can only be done with an equalizer that treats the signal with natural methods. The Manley Massive Passive uses simple passive components and exploits their natural qualities rather than forcing a complex circuit to meet an arbitrary clinical or scientific goal. Manley knows that recording and mastering equalizers are used by artists for artistic goals and they balanced this design with a little more art than science. The Massive Passive Equalizer is intended both for the most radical EQ sometimes needed for tracking as well as the most subtle shadings for vocals and mastering. It is designed to be a fundamentally different EQ but incorporates the best strengths of Pultecs, choice console EQs, parametrics and graphics. The difference is that the Manley Massive allows twice as much EQ with half the coloration. It allows huge HF boosts without sibilance problems and unbelievable fatness without mud. This is unique. Being different also gives it some quirks and idiosyncrasies that will spark your creativity and sense of audio adventure.
The Filters - 5 frequencies Hi Pass and bypass, PLUS 5 frequencies Lo Pass with bypass. Manley made them extra steep. 36dB/oct! Why? When you need to remove the garbage, this does the trick and allows more of the real music to be untouched. The other reason is that it sounds killer when combined with the regular bands. Towards the mids this degree of steepness may be tamed somewhat. Thinking drums and guitar stacks, and other tough jobs. These filters are passive too.
- All-Passive tone sculpting circuitry
- Unique Shelf curves use the "bandwidth" control
- Overlapping and Interleaved Frequency choices
- Every band switchable to shelf or bell
- Vacuum tube make-up gain and line drivers
- Parallel symmetrical topology
- Premium components throughout
- HP and LP Filters plus gain trims
The artistic choice for tracking and mastering. Whether you want subtle shading or radical EQ, the Massive Passive does it all—and like no other.
Massive Passive Stereo EQ Specifications:
- Ins & Outs Balanced XLR & Â¼" (accepts unbalanced)
- Level +4 dBu nominal, internal switches for -10 operation
- Bypass Switch bypasses EQ & tube circuits (not hardwire)
- 44 Frequencies (roughly Â¼ octave spacing)
- Frequency Range: 22 Hz to 27 Khz
- EQ Boost/Cut Range : 20 dB boost, 20 dB cut
- Nominal Q range: 1.5 to 3 (uniquely active in shelf modes)
- Frequency Response: Â± 2 dB: 8 Hz to 60 KHz
- Maximum Output @ 1.5% THD +37 dBv; +26dBv @ 20 Hz
- THD & Noise (1KHz @ +4 dBu): 0.06%
- Noise Floor (referred to +4dBu): -85 dB (A Weight)
- Dynamic Range: 120 dB
- Tube Complement: 2 x 12AX7 EH, 4 x 6414 for serial MSMPX### after 2/2004
- Tube Complement: 2 x 5751, 4 x 6414 for serial MSMP### until 2/2004
- Power Consumption (120/240VAC): 72 watts
- Unit is factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country's mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage changeable with power transformer changeover switch and fuse value change.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Size (3U): 19" x 5.25" x 10"
- Weight: Unit 21 lbs. Shipping Weight: 27 lbs.