- Buy New
This product has been discontinued but may be available as a Open Box item.
2-channel preamp featuring Grace Designs renowned audiophile transparency.
The Grace Design m201 Microphone Preamp delivers unmatched audio performance, with massive headroom, ultra-wide bandwidth and a very open, musical character. The signal path has been hot-rodded to be fully balanced from start to finish, resulting in a wider dynamic range, while high-current output drivers enable even longer cable runs without signal loss. The rackmountable m201 mic preamp translates a sonic picture of astonishing clarity and detail, which serves to capture the essential character of the music being recorded.
A ribbon mic mode is now included, which shifts the gain range up 10dB while deactivating 48V phantom power, bypassing the decoupling capacitors and optimizing the input impedance. Each channel has an 'input mode' rotary switch which selects between a standard 48V phantom input, ribbon mic mode, a front panel DI input or optional DPA high voltage inputs (130V or 190V).
Included is a M + S (mid side) decoder circuitry with a built-in width control. The front panel width control is wired with a precision 12 position rotary switch which provides a range from 100% mid (mono) to 30% mid / 70% side. The ultra-precision summing and difference amplifiers feed a set of dedicated outputs, which allows simultaneous recording of discrete mid and side signals as well as the stereo matrix.
The front panel mounted HI-Z inputs are designed to accommodate a wide variety of high impedance input sources, making the m201 preamplifier an excellent choice as a DI box which will flawlessly preserve the sound of any plugged-in instrument. Imagine the same resolution and detail as Grace Design microphone preamplifiers available for DI recording situations.
Additionally, Grace Design will be offering the m201 with a state-of-the-art 24-bit/192kHz A/D converter option (retrofitable), rounding the m201 off as the ultimate transparent input solution for any recording facility.(Sold separately)
- Redesigned, fully balanced, transformerless design
- Dual parallel XLR outputs for each channel
- Ribbon mic mode
- Front panel DI / instrument inputs
- DPA microphones 130V (190V) phantom power option
- Built in M+S decoder with dedicated outputs and front panel width control
- Optional reference quality 24-bit/192 kHz A/D converter section available late 2007
- Precision 24 position gold contact rotary switch gain controls
- Higher current outputs drive even longer cable runs
- No electrolytic capacitors in the signal path
- Sealed gold contact relays for all signal switching
- Large two color, bi-phase LED peak indicator
- Regulated linear power supply with custom wound toroidal transformer
- Highest quality components used throughout
- Five year warranty on parts and labor
Own the preamp that owns the word, "transparent."
m201 Microphone Preamp Specifications:
- Frequency response: @ 40dB gain ±3dB 50ohms source - 4.5Hz-350KHz; @ 40dB gain ± 0.2dB 50ohms source - 18Hz-65KHz
- THD+N: @ 20dB gain +20dBu out, 1kHz, <.0008%; @ 40dB gain +20dBu out, 1kHz, <.0009%; @ 60dB gain +20dBu out, 1kHz, <.0070%
- Intermodulation distortion (@40dB gain +20dBu out): SMPTE/DIN 1:1 (50Hz, 7kHz), <.0020%; SMPTE/DIN 4:1 (50Hz, 7kHz), <.0030%
- Noise - referred to input: @60dB gain 50ohms source , -130dB; @60dB gain; 150ohms source, -127dB; @60dB gain 600ohms source, -123dB
- Phase deviation: 100-20KHz @40dB gain, <3 degrees
- Crosstalk: Any Channel @40dB gain, 1kHz -125dB; Any Channel @40dB gain 10kHz, -115dB
- CMRR: @60dB gain, 3.5Vcm, 1KHz - >70dB; @60dB gain, 3.5Vcm, 10KHz - >70dB
- Phantom power: Voltage +48V+0.9/ -0.0
- 6.8kohms resistor match tolerance±0.1%
- Maximum output level (1kHz, 100Kohms load): +28dBu
- Impedance: Input, 8100ohms; Input, ribbon mode; 20Kohms; Output,190ohms
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 2U x 19" x 10"
- Weight: 16.5lbs (7.5kg)
- Power consumption: 100-240VAC 50/60Hz - 20 Watts max