Golden Age Project COMP-54 MK2 Compressor
Golden Age Project
Compressors & Limiters
- Write a Review
- Seen a Lower Price? Click Here.
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
One very affordable channel of Neve-style compression.
The Golden Age COMP-54 is a one-channel vintage-style compressor. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors and transistors. The line input and output are transformer balanced and the unit also has a third interstage transformer.
The class-A circuit used in the COMP-54 is similar to the one in the classic 2254 compressor that was designed in 1969. It quickly became a legend due to it´s totally unique sound character that is warm, smooth, sweet and musical. These characteristics have been heard on countless recordings through the years and it is a versatile sound that works very well on most sound sources and in most genres. The essence of this sound is now available at a surprisingly low cost, making it available to nearly everyone.
The COMP-54 uses a diode bridge as the gain control element, a method that is revered for its smooth way of operation. Some of the most sought after vintage compressor designs, like the 2254, 2264, 33609, Siemens and EMI used the same basic design.
The controls in the COMP-54 are very flexible covering broad ranges of Ratio, Attack and Release times, including two Auto positions. All controls except the Gain make-up one are stepped for easy resetting and stereo matching.
There are three selectable sidechain high pass filter frequencies available to handle special situations.
The Bypass switch is a true bypass where a relay switches the complete circuitry in or out. The IN/OUT switch makes it possible to switch the compression on and off while retaining the coloring from the transformers and the electronic circuitry.
The meter can show output level or gain reduction. It is also possible to link two units for stereo operation.
About Golden Age Project
Affordable vintage-style recording equipment
Golden Age Music is a Swedish company with almost 20 years of experience in the high-end audio field. Golden Age Project started as a small complementary business to Golden Age Music's huge catalogue of high-end audio gear. Golden Age wanted to reach out to everyone interested in vintage style audio recording, not just the pro clique. GA thought that with the knowledge of their technical crew and long-time experience in the field, they could create a brand of affordable mics and outboard for everyone!
- Vintage-style electronics
- Based on classic diode-bridge designs
- Transformer-balanced I/O
- Transformer upgrade (Carnhill) available
- Flexible control of Ratio, Attack and Release
- Stepped controls (except Gain make-up) for repeatability
- Three selectable Sidechain filter frequencies
- Separate Bypass and Compression In/Out switches
- Meter selectable for Output and Gain Reduction
- Link two units for stereo operation
- Separate input/output XLR and TRS jacks for flexible connection
- Back-panel switch for 600 ohm termination.
- External power power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuitry and transformers.
- Great sound that suits most sound sources and genres
Golden Age PRoject fills in the price GAP between professional gear and the home/project studio. Order your COMP-54 today.