- Buy New
This product has been discontinued but may be available as a Open Box item.
The sounds of vintage classics with digital ease of use.
The Focusrite MH445 Liquid Channel is a revolutionary professional channel strip that can precisely replicate any classic microphone preamp and compressor. The Focusrite MH445 combines radical new analog preamp technology with Dynamic Convolution techniques. The Liquid Channel fuses cutting-edge analog design with lightening fast SHARC DSP. Augmented by fully digital controls and optional remote software, The Liquid Channel provides the ultimate fluid vintage collection.
Rather than creating a similar sound to vintage units, as with modeling devices, The Liquid Channel precisely replicates their sonic behavior. This is achieved through Dynamic Convolution, the application of a unique, level-dependant set of responses to an audio signal. These measured responses, sampled at numerous levels and with every possible setting combination, are applied to the input stream on a sample-by-sample basis for accurate replication.
Mic-pre replication can't be achieved with software alone. Hardware is required in addition to account for the physical interaction with the microphone. As a result, Focusrite invested vast amounts of time and energy into designing and building the ultimate "liquid" preamplifier, able to match the input impedance and signal path (transformer or electronic) of the device being replicated.
Second order harmonic distortion is a beneficial artifact of analog circuits (especially tube and transformer-coupled designs) providing the much-loved warmth. However, often 2 units of the same type will vary in the amount of second order distortion produced, so an additional control for modifying this vintage property is provided. This allows for precise matching of the Liquid Channel to your own beloved mic pre.
The Liquid Channel combines a highly complex, massively flexible analog front-end with Dynamic Convolution processing, which utilizes lightening-fast SHARC chips and runs at sample rates of up to 192kHz. The front panel controls are digital, with tactile rotary encoders; all parameters can be stored in one of 99 program memories. At the press of button, you can reload all mic-preamp, compressor and EQ settings for an individual session. If using The Liquid Channel in conjunction with a recording platform (e.g. Pro Tools), both the session files and the Liquid Channel's program memory can be sent via standard data transfer methods, providing a completely mobile recording session. Perfectly replicated vintage classics with the power and ease of use of the digital domain.
The USB port on the rear panel allows remote control of The Liquid Channel, leaving the processor safely racked away. But that's not all. The software application also serves as an archiving system for additional replicas and program memories, and permits downloads of additional classic units from www.ffliquid.com.
- Precisely replicates any classic mic-pre and compressor
- Combines radical new analog pre-amp technology with Dynamic Convolution techniques
- Fuses cutting-edge analog design with lightning fast SHARC DSP running at 192kHz
- All settings parameters can be stored in one of 99 program memories
- USB port on the rear panel allows remote control
It's every front end ever built. Buy it today and have a more fully equipped studio than you ever dreamed possible.
MH445 Liquid Channel Specifications:
- Converter performance
- Sample rate: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192kHz
- Bit depth: 24-bit
- SNR: 120dB measured with 20 Hz/22 kHz bandpass A-weighted filter
- Frequency response: ±0.05 dB between 20Hz — 20kHz
- Maximum input level: +22dBu
- THD+N: 0.00035% (-109dB)
- Dynamic range: 116dB measured with 20Hz/22kHz bandpass A-weighted filter
- Frequency response: ±0.05dB between 20Hz — 20kHz
- Maximum output level: +22dBu
- THD+N: 0.0007% (-103 dB)
- Internal clock: <20 pico-seconds
- AES digital output: <200 pico-seconds
- External clock: <1 nano-second
- Mic pre
- Gain range: +6dB to +80dB, switched in 1dB steps
- Frequency response: variable, set by preamp chosen
- THD+N at analogue out: 0.001% measured with a +4dBu 1kHz input signal with 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter
- THD+N at AES digital out: 0.0005% measured with a +4dBu 1kHz input signal with 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter
- Mic noise: EIN = -126dB measured at 80dB of gain with 150 ohms source impedance and 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter
- Noise at analog out: -92dBu measured at +6dB gain with 20Hz/22kHz bandpass A-weighted filter
- Noise at AES digital out: -119dBfs measured at + 6dB gain with 20Hz/22kHz bandpass A-weighted filter
- Maximum input level: +16dBu
- Input impedance: variable, set by preamp chosen
- CMRR: Transformer: 123dB @ 60dB of gain
- Electronic: 102dB @ 60dB of gain
- Line input
- Gain range: —10dB to +10dB, switched in 1dB steps
- 0dB ±0.1dB between 20Hz and 20kHz
- THD+N at analog out: 0.001% measured with a +18dBu 1kHz input signal with 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter
- THD+N at AES digital out: 0.0004% measured with a +18dBu 1kHz input signal with 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter
- Noise at analogue out: -92dBu measured at 0dB gain with 20Hz/22kHz bandpass A-weighted filter
- Noise at AES digital out: -120dBfs measured at 0dB gain with 20Hz/22kHz bandpass
- A-weighted filter
- Maximum input level: +22 dBu
- High pass filter
- Roll off frequency: switchable between 75Hz and 120Hz, frequency measured at —6dB down point, 12dB per octave roll-off
- Distortion range: 0 to 15 where 15 (maximum) = 10% of 2nd-, 20% of 3rd- and 10% of 5th-order at 0dBfs (level-dependent distortion)
- In As Original mode the parameter ranges will be the same as on the original unit being replicated. In Free mode the parameter ranges are as follows:
- Threshold range: -40dB to 20dB switched in 1dB steps.
- Ratio range: 1:1 to limit
- Attack range: 0.1 mS to 2.5 S
- Release range: 0.1 mS to 2.5 S
- Make-up gain: -20dB to +20dB switched in 0.5dB steps
- High Shelf
- Frequency range: 200Hz to 20kHz
- Gain: +/-18dB
- Mid Band
- Frequency range: 100Hz to 10kHz
- Gain: +/-18dB
- Q: variable between 0.8 and 2.5
- Low Shelf
- Frequency range: 10Hz to 1kHz
- Gain: +/-18dB
- Weight: 19 lbs./8.6 kg
- Dimensions: 19"W x 3-1/3"H x 10-5/8"D/484mm W x 85mm H x 270mm D
- 2U rackmount