Chandler Limited TG-2 Abbey Road Special Edition Mic PreampSku #187895000000000 Chandler Limited 187895 YFG Microphone Preamps https://www.esnapw.com/rses/ESnapServlet?MerchantNumberSent=63655
- Write a Review
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
A re-creation of the rare EMI TG12428 preamp used on EMI/Abbey Road recordings in the late '60s and early '70s.
The sound of the EMI TG12428 mic preamp was used on many famous recordings done at Abbey Road including The Beatles' Abbey Road and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. The amplifiers were also used in many EMI circuits of the time. Chandler's version was remade from original design notes and circuit board drawings provided by Abbey Road and EMI to ensure extreme authenticity.
This pre-amp features the same discrete transformer-balanced amplifiers as the TG series limiter and offers a creamy, smooth tone with a surprisingly open, clear top end (dare we say nicer than Neve?). The sound, as explained by many users, has the Neve "warmth" and punch, but with a "nicer" expanded top end. In fact, the unit does have a small rise in its top end frequency response and some warmth-inducing distortion, which contributes to its sound.
Requires PSU-1 power supply (#187896) (sold separately).
The PSU-1 can power two Chandler Limited units. External power supplies ensure noise-free sound and lengthen component life since noise and heat shielding need not be built into the design of the preamp.
Jerry Finn (Blink 182,Green Day)
Andy Smith (Paul Simon)
Joe Barresi (Hole, Weezer)
John Merchant (Bee Gees)
Butch Vig (Nirvana, Garbage)
Michael Wagener (Ozzy, Metallica)
"Thanks for the support and for such a great pre/DI (TG2). My other pres have been feeling distinctly 'un-loved' since this baby arrived! After spending a week with the TG2, I now understand what all the talk has been about. The TG2 delivers the sound I have been searching for - a 'creamy' sounding mid- to high-frequency emphasis with punch."
- Anthony Lim
"I found the preamp's sound quality somewhere between an API 512 mic preamp and Neve's 1272 amplifier as used in the 1073 and 1084 modules. You'll find a whole new sonic world here: higher dynamic range than the Neve combined with API's 'harder, punchier' sound character. Doesn't disappoint with a wide open sound."
- Barry Rudolph, "Mix Magazine" Feb '03
"Just a quick (belated) note to say thank you for the TG2 - wow! Spectacular sounding pre. I ran our bass player direct using the TG2 and the sound was amazing - crystal clear with full, deep low freq response. I'll be cutting vocal tracks with Barry tomorrow; I'm looking forward to hearing your pre with his U47."
- John Merchant, Engineer- Bee Gees
"I wasn't really in the market for a new pre amp, but based on the quality of Chandler Limited's other products I asked for a demo unit. I have an assortment of what I considered to be the best mic pres ever made, but the sound I heard coming through the TG2 absolutely floored me. I bought the demo unit and ordered another two channels as well (this within one hour of first plugging it in). It has become my first choice for almost every application and I can't imagine making a record without it."
- Jerry Finn, Producer- Green Day, Blink 182
- Input Gain Control - Features a transformer-balanced input with 5-75 dB of gain
- Output - Functioning as a console fader, this control is placed after the gain stage and before the output stage. This allows for trimming of the input signal between the 5dB steps on the input switch, as well as allowing the user to run the input very hot (for extra coloration) without distorting the recorder. In most cases this will be left in the full position
- Direct In - This is an unbalanced high impedance input for guitar, bass, samples etc. The switch bypasses the mic transformer and feeds directly to the amplifier. The naturally high impedance of the amp causes no loading. The DI switch on the front panel can also be used as a mute switch when using the rear panel mic input
- Phase reverse
- 48 volt phantom power
- Summing Option (on back panel) - The signal is mixed from both pre amps and is sent to the output of the second channel. You can now bypass your console using great sounding discrete circuits and maintain a minimal signal path
- Impedance - This allows for switching the input from 1200 ohm to 300 ohm values to match any mic
The Chandler TG-2 nails the sound of '60s and '70s Abbey Road. Join the pros who use Chandler daily to make hits. Order yours today.