Benchmark DAC1 USB D/A ConverterProduct #485677 Benchmark 485677 YBM Audio Converters https://www.esnapw.com/rses/ESnapServlet?MerchantNumberSent=63655
- Write a Review
- Seen a Lower Price? Click Here.
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
- Buy New
This product has been discontinued but may be available as a Open Box item.
A mastering-quality, 2-channel 24-bit/192-kHz digital-to-analog audio converter.
The mastering-quality Benchmark DAC1 USB D/A Converter offers 2-channel 24-bit/192-kHz digital-to-analog audio conversion. For more then 10 years, engineers and audiophiles have come to rely on Benchmark for critical digital audio conversion. They consistently find themselves engaged in the music in a way that is rarely achieved with digital converters.
Benchmark has achieved unprecedented sonic purity in their converters through intelligent engineering, eliminating digital distortion artifacts, and maintaining a pristine analog delivery path. The DAC1 USB continues this tradition of excellence.
Preserving the Classic Benchmark DAC1 Heritage
The pristine audio path of the award-winning Classic DAC1 has made it the 'Benchmark' of standalone D-to-A converters. The DAC1 USB preserves the exact topology of the audio path of the Classic DAC1, while adding some of the most frequently requested features.
The DAC1 USB includes Benchmark's jitter-immune UltraLock clock system and Benchmark's 0-ohm HPA2 headphone amplifier. The DAC1 USB features Benchmarks AdvancedUSB technology to ensure bit-transparent, high-resolution playback directly from your computer. The DAC1 USB also includes a programmable mute function that automatically mutes the main outputs upon insertion of a headphone plug. Other features that are exclusive to the DAC1 USB include a programmable headphone gain range, an automatic 'Standby' feature, and a high-current output stage designed to drive even the most difficult loads.
Digital interconnect cables, electromagnetic interference, and many other variables introduce jitter into the digital audio. Jitter presents a major problem to most D-to-A converters. Jitter is a type of clock error that, if not properly addressed, can cause the D-to-A to misfire. The result of these misfires is a nonmusical, digital distortion.
Many modern (and expensive) converters suffer from severe jitter-induced distortion. Jitter is NOT a problem for the DAC1 USB, which achieve jitter immunity by utilizing the proprietary UltraLock clock-recovery system.
With the UltraLock clock-recovery system, the digital-to-analog conversion-clock in the DAC1 USB is totally isolated from the clock of the digital audio input. This clock-recovery topology outperforms even the most well-designed two-stage PLL designs. Using state-of-the-art Audio Precision testing equipment, no jitter-induced artifacts can be detected with the DAC1 USB. Any signal that can be decoded by the USB or AES/EBU receivers will be reproduced without the addition of any measurable jitter artifacts. The bottom line is this: Benchmark converters will consistently and faithfully deliver truthful audio with no jitter-induced artifacts, no matter what variables are present.
AdvancedUSB Audio Technology
The USB interface of the DAC1 USB features Benchmark's unique AdvancedUSB technology. This USB interface is completely bit-transparent. In other words, every sample of digital audio is transferred from the computer to the DAC1 USB without modification. The DAC1 USB is natively compatible with Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 and Mac OS X. As a native device, there are no drivers or other invasive software required to install or configure. The DAC1 USB is a true plug-and-play DAC USB, and is designed to begin playback immediately after the unit is connected to a USB port for the first time.
Unlike previous native USB audio interfaces, Benchmark's AdvancedUSB Audio technology supports 24-bit audio at sample-rates up to 96 kHz. It is very important to have a 24-bit USB path, even for 16-bit playback, because certain computer-related functions can increase 16-bit audio to 24 bits. If a 16-bit USB DAC is used, 8 bits of every digital audio sample would be truncated. Truncating digital audio causes severe, nonmusical digital distortion. Benchmark's AdvancedUSB interface ensures a full 24-bit digital audio path to avoid truncation distortion.
HPA2 Headphone Amplifier
The DAC1 USB feature the HPA2 “ Benchmark's signature high-current, 0-Ohm headphone amplifier. The HPA2 is arguably the ultimate reference headphone amplifier. It will deliver the full rated performance of the DAC1 USB to the headphones. The HPA2 maintains less than 0.0003% THD+N under full load. The DAC1 USB both have two 1/4" headphone jacks on the front panel. The performance of the HPA2 remains consistent even when two headphones are being driven.
For mounting options, see RM Kit #485682, RM Coupler #485683, and RM Blank #485683.
- Four digital inputs: USB, XLR balanced, BNC coaxial, and TOSLINK optical
- Advanced USB interface for native
- 24-bit/96-kHz USB audio
- Compatible with Windows Vista/XP/2000 and Mac OS X without driver installation
- Benchmark's phase-accurate UltraLock technology provides total jitter immunity
- Four stereo outputs: XLR balanced,
- RCA unbalanced, and two headphone jacks
- Front panel volume control eliminates the need for a playback-system pre-amplifier
- Built-in HPA2 0-W, high-output headphone amplifier (two 1/4" outputs)
- Selectable gain-range for headphone amplifier to match headphone sensitivity
- Left-most headphone jack mutes XLR and RCA outputs (this feature is defeatable)
- "Calibrated/Variable" switch determines gain control for main analog outputs
- Front-panel gain control of all analog outputs (in "Variable" mode)
- Front-panel gain control of headphone outputs only (in "Calibrated" mode)
- Rear-panel trim-pots control gain of XLR and RCA outputs (in "Calibrated" mode)
- Selectable, low-impedance attenuators
- (0, 10, 20, or 30 db) on XLR outputs
- Status LED's - display input selection and error conditions
- Automatic "Standby Mode" - active after 15 seconds of loss of digital input signal
- Automatic wake-up from "Standby Mode"
- Reliable and consistent performance under adverse operating conditions
- 115 V, 230 V, 50-60 Hz international power supply with very wide operating range
- Low radiation toroidal power transformer significantly reduces hum and line related interference
Get state-of-the-art D/A conversion for precision monitoring.
DAC1 USB D/A Converter Specifications:
- THD+N: -107 dB, 0.00045% (with -3 dBFS input)
SNR - A-Weighted: 116 dB (with 0 dBFS = +20 to +29 dBu)
Maximum Amplitude of Jitter Induced Sidebands (10-kHz 0-dBFS test tone, 12.75 UI sinusoidal jitter at 1 kHz): < -141 dB
Maximum Amplitude of AC line related Hum & Noise: <-126 dB
Input Sample Frequency Range: 28 to 195 kHz
Headphone amp output impedance: 0.01 W
Headphone amp output-level range (@ 0 dBFS into 60-W load): Off-to-+21 dBu
Headphone amp THD+N: -107 dB, 0.00045% (with -3 dBFS input)