Avantone Pro Passive MixCube (Pair)Product #J00696 Avantone J00696 YBDB Unpowered Monitors https://www.esnapw.com/rses/ESnapServlet?MerchantNumberSent=63655
- Write a Review
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
Low profile passive studio monitors.
The Avantone MixCubes are shielded, full-range mini reference monitors. Their design is inspired by the legacy of the 5C Sound Cubes used in virtually all-major studios for the last 25 years.
To build a full-range, rugged, mini-reference monitor to replace the older, aging, 5C Sound Cubes that are still in use worldwide, while offering an improved, more linear frequency response. A full year was spent studying all versions & revisions of the famous little 5C Sound Cubes. Research revealed that there were several driver versions released over the years with widely varying frequency response characteristics. Avantone chose the smoothest, most linear, full-range version of those 5C models to use as their testing benchmark. Next, they analyzed their response characteristics in an anechoic chamber and proceeded to implement design upgrades. Realizing the importance of replacing a respected "industry-standard reference monitor", they began by replicating its basic size, function, and sonic character. And then they took it up a notch.
The original 5C Sound Cubes were made of ½” particleboard covered with a glue-on woodgrain contact paper. They chose to use thicker, denser MDF board because of its high rigidity and inherent low-resonance characteristics. Starting with a 165mm (6 1/2") sealed cube design with radiused edges, they chose an elegant polyurethane high-gloss “RETRO-CREAM” finish. The originals had either screws, or on later models, plastic binding posts, mounted on a recessed plastic cup. These have been upgraded to high-end nickel-plated, machined solid metal binding posts (dual banana spacing) mounted on a black anodized, milled and silk-screened aluminum terminal plate. Next Avontone added a 7mm thick neoprene pad embedded into the base of the cabinet to serve as a skid-resistant acoustic isolator. Additionally, for creative mounting situations, Avontone recessed an industry standard 5/8”-27 mic stand mount into the base.
While the originals were a basic 5” stamped frame design, Avontone designed a new, proprietary 5.25” die-cast aluminum frame driver/cone assembly to enhance performance. The mounting bezel is then polished for an elegant appearance. The paper cone, chosen for its musical character, is custom designed & crafted using the finest New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for lighter weight and rigidity. The cloth surround is made in Japan to exacting uniform thickness tolerances. The top plate and T-Yoke of the driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel to enable the highest modeled flux density in the gap. The magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC) yielding a 43oz. high power-low distortion motor structure.
Studios primarily use 2-way & 3-way larger monitors designed to represent a wide range reference viewpoint at higher listening levels. However, in this newly developing age of High Definition Audio, there is still a need to also hear what your mix will sound like when played back over small “bass-challenged” systems such as televisions, clock radios, computers, car stereos, iPod docking stations, etc. It is important to make mixing judgments based partially on listening to reference monitors that will not impart tonal anomalies caused by crossovers or inferior full range drivers. Particular attention is always paid to the critical mid-range vocal/guitar/keyboard areas. This is where having a full-range monitor without a crossover is truly revealing. Ten months of R&D comparative listening and tweaking went into the voicing of the Avantone MixCubes. The result is a very smooth sounding, full-range upgrade from the original 5C Sound Cubes. Listening tests reveal that the MixCubes have a smooth, more open, transparent top end response with extended bass while maintaining their basic original character.
Amplification & Wiring
Recommended power rating is 50-200 watts of solid state power or 10-100 watts of tube power. It is advisable to use a high-quality studio-grade power amplifier. The metal binding posts on the rear of the speaker can accept bare wire, spade lugs, or single or dual banana plugs. It is best to use 12 -16 AWG wire for runs longer than 6 feet.
When positioning the Avantone MixCubes on stands or console bridges, it is best to keep them at ear level and slightly angled in towards the engineer. Since they are shielded, it is ok to place them near a CRT video monitor or TV without causing any problems. The bottom mic stand mounts will also allow you creative positioning options in unusual studio playback situations.
- 5.25" Shielded Passive Full range 8 ohm drivers
- 6-1/2" Cube Cabinet with multiple coats of "Retro-Cream" High Gloss lacquer finish
- Precision-milled high-rigidity MDF cabinet sides & baffle for low resonance
- Radiused corners & edges reduce edge diffraction for better imaging
- Custom Cone is crafted using New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for light weight & rigidity
- Cloth surround made in Japan to uniform thickness tolerances
- Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel
- The 43oz. low-distortion motor structure magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC)
- High-rigidity die-cast aluminum frame with polished mounting bezel
- Nickel-plated "high-end" binding posts (properly spaced for dual banana plugs) - insulated for CE compliance
- Anodized aluminum milled terminal plate
- 1/4" soft neoprene pad is recessed into the cabinet base to serve as a non-skid acoustic isolator
- Standard size (5/8"- 27 threading) female microphone stand mount is built into the cabinet base
Order today and outfit your monitor station to incorporate bass-challenged playback reference.
Pro Passive MixCube (Pair) Specifications:
- System type: Dynamic Shielded Full-Range Pair
- Frequency response: 90Hz - 17,000Hz (useful musical range)
- Impedance: Nominal 8 ohms
- SPL / Sensitivity: 93dB @ 1w/1m
- Recommended power: From 10-200W
- Driver: 5.25" cast aluminum frame
- Cabinet: sealed / 18mm MDF / Dacron acoustical stuffing
- Inputs: 3-way CE-rated plastic encased metal binding posts (accepts up to 12-gauge wire, spade lugs, dual banana plugs)
- Weight: 6lb., 11oz. (per speaker)
- Dimensions: 165mm x 165mm x 165mm (6-1/2" x 6-1/2" x 6-1/2")