- Buy New
This product has been discontinued but may be available as a Open Box item.
A special edition of an industry standard tube preamplifier/opto-compressor/sweep equalizer.
In honor of the 10th anniversary of the release of the renowned VT-737sp Class A Mono Tube Channel Strip, Avalon has produced a special "Blackface" model. The VT-737SP features a combination of TUBE preamplifiers, opto-compressor, sweep equalizer, output level and VU metering in a 2U space. The VT737SP Anniversary is identical in terms of circuitry, the only difference being cosmetic; the front panel is matte-black and the original orange LEDs have been replaced with cool blue ones.
The VT-737SP has three input selections:
1. The VT-737SP features a higher-performance microphone input transformer with +48v phantom selection.
2. Instrument DI high source input with jack located on front panel.
3. Balanced line input, discrete high-level Class A.
The class A preamplifier utilizes two cascaded, dual vacuum tube triodes configured with minimum negative feedback. A high gain switch boosts the overall gain of the preamplifier. The four high-quality tubes are configured as singled-ended anode coupled followers. A passive-variable high-pass filter and hardwire relay bypass completes the input signal conditioning. The phase reverse relay is available on all three inputs.
The opto-compressor features a minimum signal path design with twin Class A vacuum tube triodes for gain matching. The optical attenuator acts as a simple passive level controller. Full dynamic control from soft compression to hard-knee limiting can be achieved with threshold, ratio-compression, attack and release controls plus gain reduction selection on the large VU meter. Special spectral control including de-ess is available with the dual sweep mid EQ to sidechain switch. The EQ section can be flipped pre or post the opto-compressor via a front panel switch for alternate effects and tone shaping. Two VT-737SPs can be linked via a rear panel link cable for stereo tracking. The compressor bypass is a sealed silver relay for the most direct signal path.
SWEEP-EQUALIZER AND OUTPUT LEVEL
Class A high-voltage transistors are used for optimum sonic performance. The high and low frequency bands provide the smooth characteristics of an all passive design, while the dual mid bands include variable frequency and switched Q-width selection. The enhanced range of the mid bands is extended into the high and low bands by the use of X10 frequency multipliers. The bypass switch incorporates a sealed silver relay for the most direct signal path. When the EQ to sidechain is engaged, the high-low EQ remains in the audio path for "tone enhancement". The output level control provides a variable control of the overall signal path. The output amplifier utilizes another dual triode vacuum tube driving a 100% discrete, Class A, high-current, balanced and DC coupled low noise output amplifier.
VALON VT-737SP FEATURES
Vacuum tube triode signal path, transformer balanced microphone input, high-voltage circuits for maximum headroom to +30dB, low noise -92dB, internal discrete power supply with toroidal transformer, soft-start tube life extender, stereo link for compressors, all discrete Class A equalizer with musical passive filter design, sealed silver relays for signal routing, large control knobs with professional conductive plastic potentiometers, VU meter for output level monitoring and compressor gain reduction.
*NOTE: Older versions of the VT-737SP have balanced 1/4" outputs. New models now have XLR outputs. The function remains the same.
- Minimal signal path design
- Four Class A vacuum tube triodes
- Transformer-balanced microphone input
- EQ to sidechain for de-ess
- High-voltage circuits + 200v
- Headroom to +30dB
- Low noise -92dB
- Internal discrete power supply
- Soft-start tube life extender
- Stereo link
- All discrete Class A equalizer
- Sealed silver relays
If you're looking for a golden channel for your DAW, you've found it with the Avalon VT-737SP. Order yours today!
VT-737sp Class A Mono Tube Channel Strip Limited Edition Specifications:
- Circuit topology: Four dual triode vacuum tubes (Sovtek 6922), high-voltage discrete Class A
- Gain Range: Microphone: Transformer balanced 850/2500 ohm, 0dB to +58dB Instrument: Unbalanced 1 meg ohm, 0dB to+30dB Line: Balanced Class A 20k ohms, -27dB to 28dB
- Maximum input level and connector types: Microphone 26dB@25Hz, +30dB@1kHz balanced XLR Instrument +30dB unbalanced front panel jack socket
- Line +36dB balanced XLR
- Maximum output level: +30dB balanced 600 ohms, DC coupled, discrete Class A
- Output type and gain: XLR connector, output trim gain -45dB to 20dB
- Noise 20kHz unweighted: 92dB
- Noise microphone EIN: 116dB, 22Hz to 22kHz unweighted
- Distortion THD, IMD: 0.5%
- Frequency response -/2.5dB: 10Hz to 120kHz input filter included
- Frequency response -3dB: 1Hz to 200kHz line in-out
- VU meter and gain reduction: High quality illuminated OVU =+4dB and gain reduction to -20dB
- High cut filter: Variable 6dB per octave 30Hz to 140Hz
- Compressor type: Optical passive attenuator incorporating twin vacuum tubes and stereo link
- Threshold Ratio: Threshold variable -30dB to +20dB, ratio-compression variable 1:1 to 20:1
- Attack/Release: Attack variable 2mS to 200mS, release variable 100mS to 5 seconds
- Equalizer type: Discrete Class A, variable active and switched passive design
- Frequency bands (4):
- Treble - switched 10kHz, 15kHz, 20kHz, 32kHz, ±20dB range, shelf High mid - variable 200Hz to 2k8Hz and 2kHz to 28kHz, ±16dB range, hi-lo Q Low mid - variable 30Hz to 450Hz and 300Hz to 4k5Hz, ±16dB range, hi-lo Q Bass - switched 15Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz, 150Hz, ±24dB range, shelf
- AC power: Internal toroidal 100v to 240v, 50-60Hz selectable, 75 watts maximum
- Dimensions: 19" x 12" x 3.5" (482 x 305 x 89mm)
- Weight: 22 lb. (10kg)
- Dimensions-shipping carton: 21" x 18" x 8" (533 x 457 x 203mm)
- Weight-packed: 26 lb. (11.8 kg)