Tascam Holiday Rebate
Holiday Mail-In Rebates. Save up to $100 on select Tascam items for the holidays. See PDF for details.
- - Offer Expires 12/31/14
- Download rebate
4-track recording, 24-bit/96kHz and MP3 resolution, plus adjustable XY/AB stereo condenser mic and XLR/1/4" inputs.
The TASCAM DR-40 has adjustable mics, 4-track recording and extended battery life, to give you the flexibility you need to record tracks anywhere.
The DR-40 captures up to four tracks from built-in, high-quality condenser microphones, XLR mic or line inputs. The internal mics are adjustable from XY to AB position, helping you to tailor your recording to the sound of the room. A pair of great-sounding TASCAM microphone preamps welcome condenser microphones with phantom power, recording at up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution. It accommodates balanced XLR or 1/4" line inputs using locking Neutrik Combo jacks. The DR-40 accepts SD or SDHC cards up to 32GB, and a 2GB card is included.
Once recorded, playback your takes with EQ and the optional Level Align feature to avoid volume jumps. A stereo reverb effect is also built-in, as well as a speaker and chromatic tuner. Transfer recordings to computer using the USB 2.0 jack. Other features include overdub mode, variable speed playback, limiting and low-cut filter, and much more – all with TASCAM’s simple-to-use interface. Home or live recording is as simple as it gets with the TASCAM DR-40.
- Handheld 4-track portable recorder
- Built-in condenser microphones, adjustable to XY or AB position
- XLR/1/4” mic/line input with phantom power
- Record with the built-in microphones and XLR mic or line inputs for 4-track recording
- Dual-recording mode captures a safety track at a lower level to avoid distortion
- Overdub mode allows recording along with a previous take
- Peak reduction automatically sets the ideal recording level
- 15-hour battery life from three AA batteries
- Up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV/BWF or MP3 recording resolution
- Two-second pre-recording buffer
- Variable speed playback from 50-150% speed without changing the pitch
- Adjustable limiter and low-cut filter (40/80/120Hz)
- Built-in speaker and chromatic tuner
- 1/8” headphone/line output
- Playback EQ and level align
- Stereo Reverb effect
- Tripod mounting hole
- SD/SDHC card slot supports up to 32GB media (2GB card included)
- Locking Neutrik Combi jacks
- USB 2.0 jack and cable for transferring recordings to computer
- Powered by three AA batteries, AC adapter (optional PS-P515U - not included), external battery pack (optional BP-6AA - not included), or USB bus power
- Optional RC-3F footswitch and RC-10 wired remote control (Not Included)
Record 4 quality tracks plus overdub anywhere at all. Order today!
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
Comments about TASCAM DR-40 Portable Digital Recorder:
Used it several times to record performances of in a church and large auditorium and am very pleased with the results. It captures what the audience experiences and is very simple to use. Read about the features and reviews on both Tascam site and YouTube, if you're unfamiliar with its features. The 4-channel feature reduces to 2 stereo files. This is great when you want to capture a few performers up close with separate mics and leave the unit back a bit to capture the audience perspective. I plan on using this method for an upcoming student recital. Already tested it at rehearsals and the results were great. The Dual mode provides a safety net in the event of unexpected loud passages when using the sensitive onboard mics that can be positioned in XY or AB patterns. Have not used the overdub feature, but its there for those who plan on creating simple multi-track recording. The variable playback feature is great if you want to study passages. Great when recording lessons and want to help a student understand the nuances or to have a bit more time to digest a fast passage or to hear what happens when the tempo is bumped higher. It also have some built-in effects, that I would rather do off the machine, if needed. The only disaapointment was the 2 GB recording limit despite putting in a larger 32 GB card.Maximum recording times at higher resolution using: BWF or WAV 24 / 96K is 1 hour 2 minutes 6 seconds; BWF 16 / 96K is 1 hour 33 minutes 9 seconds; BWF 16 / 44.1K is 3 hours 22 minutes 47 seconds; MP3 320K / 48 K is 14 hours 54 minutes 18 seconds... you get the idea... So you may have to babysit and restart those longer recording sessions if you want to capture more detail. Overall, it fits my needs as a part-time church musician and private teacher. Plus, the lighted screen can be turned off so there's no orange glow to distract others that it's being used. I own other Tascam products and this one ranks tops of them all.