- Buy New
This product has been discontinued but may be available as a used item.
An 88-key workstation stuffed with intelligent Korg technology.
Weighing in at 46 pounds, Korg's 88 key M50 keyboard workstation is lighter than many workstations in its class and features Korg's top-of-the-line RH3 Graded Hammer Action, providing a satisfying performance experience for the piano purist. It is packed with incredible sounds; fat & juicy combis, splits, and layers; a plethora of ace effects; dynamic drum tracks; enhanced poly-arpeggiators; classic sequencing tools; a solid, confident keybed; up-to-date SD storage; companion editing software, and Korg's TouchView interactive display. It all adds up to an invigorating and sexy Korg keyboard, at our service.
A Keyboard for Everyone
Over 20 years of category-defining workstation expertise beats in the heart of the 88-note Korg M50 Workstation. Just as the M3 borrowed elements from the legendary OASYS, the M50-88 captures all the sonic firepower of the M3, distilled into a top-notch performance instrument.
A Natural Performer
Made to be played, the M50-88 is inviting and comfortable. The TouchView screen is intuitive and interactive, allowing the uniquely angled front panel to remain refined and uncluttered. The buttons themselves are rock solid, backlit, and rounded for visibility and ease-of-use under any playing conditions. In addition to Korg's 4-way joystick and multifunction knobs, the M50-88 offers 4 Chord Triggers that provide a flexible and fun way to play chords and trigger arp patterns. A 10-key numeric keypad allows on-demand instant access to sounds, combis, and other parameter/values. Hundreds of drum track patterns, and over a thousand arpeggiator patterns—including chord grooves, picking-patterns, and more—are instantly available to add punch and pizzaz to your M50-88 performance, and to provide hours of musical inspiration.
Perfectly Shaped Sounds
M50-88 is packed with over 600 individual sound programs, each one created by Korg's international voicing team. With a robust 256MB of sample data—recorded in exacting studio conditions—the acoustic instruments are delivered with authenticity and realism, providing rich, natural articulation. For example, synth sounds can be bombastic and aggressive, lush and enveloping, or pure and delicate. First and foremost the M50-88 can be the cornerstone keyboard for any musician. The remarkable piano offers three layers of stereo switching and an additional resonance layer for faithful and natural reproduction of the piano's entire dynamic range.
In addition to the grand pianos, a myriad of other piano and keyboard mainstays are included, from a mono piano for pumping it out live on stage, to the ever in-demand vintage Korg SG-1 Sampling Grand. The electric pianos are responsive, dynamic and expressive, with all the tine and hammer-slap you can muster. The enhanced clavs feature all the classic settings with wide dynamic response, and there are even string and flute sounds taken from the tape-driven keyboards of days gone by. Korg's REMS pickup/amp/cabinet modeling technology provides that finishing touch. All the classics are there at your fingertips with spot-on programs that are a blast to play. Need to quickly tweak a sound to your liking? No problem. Tone Adjust allows simple access to the most important parameters and characteristics of a sound without having to dive deeply into programming. Available in Program, Combi, and Sequencer modes, you can get done what you need to with a minimum of fuss and effort.
Mix & Match
In addition to the individual programs, a combination (or combi) allows up to 16 sound programs to be stacked, split, layered, and zoned across the keyboard; or set to individual MIDI channels. Nearly 400 of these combis come preloaded, offering up tasty blends and splits for live performance. All of the preloaded sounds are completely editable, and there is plenty of room on-board (640 Programs, 512 Combinations) for all the sounds that you edit, modify, or create on your own.
The generous effect section of the Korg M50-88 brings your sounds to life. Five insert effects and two master effects can be assigned and routed at will, with a total effect to add that final polish. From spacious and luxurious reverbs to space-warping modulation types, the effects can not only embellish a sound after the fact, but they can also be part of the sound programming itself, adding unique and defining sonic elements.
D-mod (Dynamic Modulation) allows realtime control of various parameter effects as part of your performance. Effect parameters can be sync'd to the two common LFOs or a MIDI Clock source to further integrate the effects into the overall sound. Over 170 top-quality effects are available, including Korg's proprietary REMS modeling effects. Each program, whether alone, in a combi, or assigned to a sequencer track, is equipped with its own 3-band EQ for that final tone shaping.
Let There Be Drums!
Korg squeezed in over 1,600 drum and percussion samples that can be laid out into full drum kit programs. Ready and waiting are 32 drum kits, with room for 48 more of your own. Adding to the drum kits, the drum track feature hosts some 670 drum grooves that you can jam along to, or use to kick-start and inspire your own song ideas. In fact, each program has a matching drum track pre-assigned to get you started.
The arpeggiator has been a staple on Korg keyboards since the 1980s, and the M50-88 more than delivers on that heritage. It has the ubiquitous up, down, and random patterns you'd expect, plus dual polyphonic arpeggiators that can serve up cascading chords, groovin' bass lines, chord-driven picking patterns, and punchy accents to spice up your performance. In the Sequencer and Combi modes, both arpeggiators can run simultaneously—each addressing different timbres—creating powerful possibilities such as one running drum grooves and one running bass patterns, or even using velocity to switch between patterns on the same sound.
Rapid Results Sequencing
The keyboard's on-board sequencer is the core of your music production studio. Over 200,000 notes can be recorded on 16 MIDI tracks and up to 128 songs. Enhanced 480 ppq resolution captures your performance with pinpoint accuracy whether you play in realtime or step notes in one at a time. A plethora of advanced, yet easy-to-use editing features are available to help you sculpt your song into its final form.
Song Templates designed for a variety of musical genres allow you to get started quickly, with sounds and effects all selected and routed for you. Or try Korg's unique RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play/Recording) function, calling up any of the 671 drum patterns to get started, and assigning shorter patterns and phrases to individual keys; you can even loop each track to build the perfect groove before the inspiration runs out. Sequence individual sections of the song separately, and then use the Cue List function to assemble and tryout different arrangements. Then you'll be remix ready! Since you never know when inspiration will strike, the one-touch record (Auto Song Setup) feature transfers all your current settings into a new song and starts the sequencer, capturing your ideas as the foundation of a new song.
Korg's most advanced hardware engine ever, Enhanced Definition Synthesis is the musical heart of both the M50-88 and the M3. Each individual voice can lay claim to up to two stereo oscillators, four filters, two amp sections, five Low Frequency Oscillators (LFO), and five time-variant Envelope Generators (EG). On the technical side, each stereo oscillator can achieve four-way velocity switching, crossfading, or layering. This allows a single voice to use up to eight stereo multisamples to ensure a dynamic and expressive sound. Each voice also has access to up to four multi-mode (High Pass, Band Pass, Band Reject, Low-pass) filters; two filters per oscillator running side by side, stacked, or in series, as well as a superb 24dB mode. Even the amp section can add to the shape and texture of the sound with a drive circuit to add a harder, rougher edge, and a low boost to fatten up that big bottom.
The M50-88 includes both standalone and plug-in sound editing software for more detailed graphic editing on your computer, connecting directly via USB. The plug-in version allows you to edit the M50-88's sounds from inside any DAW (VST, Audio Units, and RTAS formats), allowing your edits and changes to be part of the song file without having to switch applications to tweak a sound. The workstation also uses convenient SD cards for economical and reliable data storage.
The Korg M50-88 is chock full of sounds and features. It's high-visibility, 320 x 240 pixel resolution TouchView interface allows direct touch-screen access to hundreds of parameters. Finding the sounds you need is simple thanks to the way they've been organized by category, as are effects, drum patterns, arps and even waveforms.
- 88-key weighted action (RH3: Real Weighted Hammer Action 3 keyboard with 4-zone graded action response)
- 5.7 inch TouchView GUI, 320 x 240 dot display
- Controllers: Joystick, [SW1], [SW2]
- Damper Pedal (half damper pedaling supported), Assignable Switch, Assignable Pedal
- Synthesis Technology:
- EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis)
- 256 Mbyte (when converted to 16-bit linear format)
- 1,077 Multisamples
- 1,609 Drum Samples
- Maximum Polyphony:
- 80 voices, 80 oscillators max, single mode
- 40 voices, 80 oscillators max, double mode
- Programs: 640 total locations, 608 preloaded
- Combinations: 512 total locations, 384 preloaded
- Drumkits: 48 total locations, 32 preloaded
- GM: 256 GM2 programs, 9 GM2 drum kits
- OSC1 (Single), OSC1+2 (Double)
- Stereo multisamples are supported
- 4 velocity zones per oscillator, with switching, crossfades, and layers
- Four types of filter routing (single, serial, parallel, 24 dB)
- Two multi-mode filters per voice (low pass, high pass, band pass, band reject)
- Per-voice nonlinear driver and low boost
- 3 bands, with sweepable mid
- For each voice - two envelope generators (Filter & Amp)
- 2 LFOs
- 2 key tracking generators (Filter & Amp)
- 2 AMS mixers
- Up to 16 timbres
- For each Timbre - keyboard and velocity split/layer/crossfade
- INT, OFF, EXT, and EX2 MIDI status settings
- 3-band EQ with sweepable mid
- Use OSC1, 2, or Both
- Force Osc Mode (PRG, MONO, LEGATO, POLY)
- Portamento and Bend range settings
- Controller filters
- Modifications to the program settings via the Tone Adjust function
- Stereo and mono drum samples
- 4-way velocity switches with crossfades and adjustable crossfade shapes (Linear, Power, Layer)
- Exclusive keygroups
- Per key 3-band EQ, Drive, Lo Boost, filter, and level offsets
- 5 Insert Effects (stereo in/out), 2 Master Effects (stereo in/out), 1 Total Effect (stereo in/out) are available simultaneously
- 2 effect control busses, 2 effect common LFOs
- 170 types (can be used for Insert/Master/Total.) Note: double-size effects cannot be used as a Total effect.
- Effects Presets: Up to 32 per Effect
- 3-band Track EQ (High, low, and sweepable mid band) per program in Program Mode, per timbre in Combination mode (16 total), and per track in Sequencer mode (16 total)
- 16-track MIDI sequencer with 480 ppq resolution
- 128 Songs, 20 Cue Lists, 210,000 notes (max)
- Tempo: 40.00 — 300.00 BPM (1/100 resolution)
- 16 preset/16 user Template Songs
- 522 preset patterns, 100 user patterns (per Song)
- Cue List function:
- 20 cue lists
- Songs can be arranged consecutively or repeatedly in up to 99 steps
- A cue list can be converted back into a song
- Standard MIDI File (SMF) format 0 and 1 available
- Auto Song Setup function (One Touch Record) for easily going from a Program or Combination into record-ready status
- Two arpeggiators, useable simultaneously
- (Combination, Sequencer modes)
- 5 preset arpeggio patterns; 216 user arpeggio patterns (200 preloaded)
- RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play/Recording) - a set of 100 patterns are available per song
- 671 preset patterns/1,000 user patterns
- Patterns created in Sequencer mode can be converted to drum track user patterns
- Trigger Mode (Immediate, Wait for Keyboard), Sync (On, Off) and Zone (Key and Velocity) settings can be specified.
- Program selection, 3-band EQ and effect bussing available
- Three-Pronged IECC13 Power Cable
- Owner's Manual (M50 Operation Guide)
- CD-ROM (M50 Parameter Guide (PDF)
- Voice Name List (PDF)
- KORG MIDI driver
Compact, but powerful, this workstation will give you hours of creative inspiration. Order now.
M50 88-Key Keyboard Workstation Specifications:
- Frequency response: 20Hz—20kHz, +/-1.0 dB, 10k Ohms load
- THD+N: 20Hz—20kHz, 0.08 % 10 kOhms load (typical)
- Audio outputs:
- L/MONO, R: 1/4" TS (Mono), unbalanced
- Headphones: 1/4" TRS (Stereo)
- Output impedance: 33 Ohms
- Maximum level: 32+ 32 mW @ 33 Ohms
- MIDI: IN, OUT, THRU
- Computer: USB-type, B connector (for MIDI interface, USB 2.0 supported)
- System Requirements
- Computer with the KORG USB-MIDI Driver
- XP Home Edition/Professional Service Pack 2 or later (MIDI Driver for the 64-bit editions is a Beta version), all editions of Microsoft Windows Vista (MIDI Driver for the 64-bit editions is a Beta version), computer supports Windows XP/Vista with USB port (Intel USB Host Controller recommended)
- OS X 10.3.9 or later, Apple Macintosh with USB ports supports Mac OS X 10.3.9 (PowerPC/Intel-based supported)
- Please use the latest Korg USB/MIDI driver.
- M50 Editor/Plug-In Editor
- XP Home Edition/Professional Service Pack 2 or later, Intel Pentium III/1GHz or faster, 512MB or larger memory (1GB or larger recommended)
- OS X 10.4 or later, G4/800MHz or faster (Intel-based Mac supported, G5 and/or Core Duo recommended), 512MB or larger memory (1GB or larger recommended)
- Dimensions: 55.47"W x 5.94"H x 12.91"D
- Weight: 45.86lb.