Rethinking the electric guitar from the ground up.
The Taylor SolidBody Custom Electric Guitar has arrived! Featuring original new pickups, a sleek all-aluminum bridge, fresh body design, proprietary neck-to-body construction, and unique switching capabilities, Taylor's innovative imprints are all over the SolidBody Custom guitar.
The unique Taylor-designed pickups are the foundation on which the Taylor solidbodies are built. The Custom is loaded with full-sized open-coil humbuckers featuring a new type of magnet and special winding process. The combination creates vintage humbucker sound with the power and dynamic range of modern pickups.
5 pickup settings with carefully chosen voicings give you a great range of tones:
1) Neck pickup
2) "Skinny neck tone"--2 inside coils from both pickups wired in parallel
3) "In-between rock tone"--both coils of neck pickup combined with the inside coil of bridge pickup for classic bright single-coil tone with the added fullness of neck tone. Great for semi-distorted amp setting.
4) Fat single-coil--2 inside coils from both pickups in series (north from neck and south from bridge) creating, in effect, a 4" humbucker.
5) Bridge pickup
The sapele wood body with walnut or koa top is beveled on the back, sides, and in the cutaway so you're always playing in comfort and able to easily reach the upper frets. The mahogany neck features the single bolt T-Lock neck joint that pulls the neck into the body. The simple yet ingenious jigsaw joint shape provides a set neck feel and accurate intonation.
The bridge, also Taylor-designed, is amazingly smooth across the top. It looks and feels clean and classy. There are no exposed adjustment screws to clutter the looks or get caught on.
Even the knobs are a departure from standard fare with elegant looks with a lipped edge that allows great one-finger control. Sweaty hands? Taylor includes rubber O-ring grips that will slip over the knobs.
For years, Bob Taylor was asked if they were going to build solidbody electric guitars, and for years, the answer was no. Bob's thinking was simple: he wasn't going to build a solidbody electric unless he felt there was a real reason to. In other words, he wouldn't put the Taylor name on a guitar that was just another version of what already existed.
For this electric guitar to happen, it had to be innovative, unique, and worthy of a place alongside the guitars that electric players have loved for generations. When the design group at Taylor invented new pickups and Bob heard them, he knew the time had come. Starting with those pickups, each element of this new solid body was designed from the ground up. The ingenuity that Bob Taylor insisted on resulted in the creation of an electric guitar that's sure to inspire and is well-equipped to impress.
Check the drop-down menu to the right to select colors and/or other options.
- Body style: Beveled single Venetian cutaway with contoured back
- Body wood: Sapele
- Top wood: inset walnut
- Scale length: 24-7/8" Taylor short scale
- Neck joint: single bolt T-lock neck joint
- Neck wood: Sapele (natural gloss finish), blackwood natural koa)
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Neck shape: Taylor neck
- Frets: 22
- Fretboard radius: 15"
- Bridge: aluminum Taylor-designed
- Pickups: Taylor-designed 3/4 size humbuckers
- Pickup control: 5-way selector: 1- Neck pickup
- 2- Two inside coils from both pickups in parallel
- 3- Both coils of neck pickup w/ inside coil of bridde pickup
- 4- Two inside coils from both pickups in series
- 5- Bridge pickup
- Controls: master volume, master tone
- Tuners: Taylor
- Inlays: progressive diamond inlay
- Finish: shaded edge gloss
- Case: Taylor rectangular hardshell