A-style with compound radius.
A modern A-style, appropriate to a wide variety of musical idioms. The F-hole design tightens and brightens the sound, making it perfect for chopping bluegrass, and the trebles ring loudly and clearly, and are great for folk, rock, even the classical literature for mandolin. Rumor has it that Beethoven was sweet on a lady who loved the sound of the mandolin, so you can fine some fine Beethoven scored for mandolin.
In response to the demands of many contemporary mandolin players, the new KM-950 features a compound radius fingerboard with medium-sized frets for extremely comfortable, fast, and accurate playability for the fretting hand, and a scooped extension over the body making room for a more aggressive rhythm chop of the right hand, common to many pro-level players. Combined, the wider nut and overall fingerboard width, and bridge saddle spacing than traditional vintage instruments, this new A-model is made to play!
Most of these player-friendly features are not new and were first pioneered by Kentucky in the late 1970's and early 1980's on our legendary mandolins, produced in collaboration with the world-renowned New York luthier, John Monteleone. In every other respect, the new KM-950 conforms to our ever-popular KM-900 with its hand-carved and graduated solid spruce top and hand-carved and graduated solid figured maple back, sides and neck assuring superb craftsmanship in every feature.
- Solid, hand-carved and graduated select spruce top
- Solid, flat-sawn, hand-carved select flamed northern maple back and sides
- One-piece maple neck with dovetail neck/body joint at the 15th fret
- Peghead inlaid with Kentucky script and beautiful Fleur De Lys design of genuine pearl
- Ebony fingerboard with M-O-P dot position markers and highly polished medium sized nickel-silver frets
- The fingerboard extension over the body has been scooped and inlaid with non-functional nickel-silver fret markers that maintains the traditional look
- ivoroid binding on all edges
- Nitrocellulose finish in a traditional 1920's Sunburst
- Vintage-style ebony bridge with small adjustment wheels and a slightly wider string spacing
- Traditional 2-screw truss rod cover plate
- Perfectly shaped M-O-P nut with a wider 1 1/8-inch width
- Silver-plated, engraved tailpiece with leather insert
- High-quality, silver-plated Gotoh tuners with engraved plate and removable pearloid buttons
- Shop adjusted
- Case sold separately
An American favorite. Order today.
KM-950 Master A-Model Mandolin Specifications:
- Back and Side Material: Solid Maple
Body Style: A-Model
Bridge Material: Polished Ebony with Adjustment Wheels
Fingerboard Inlay: M-O-P Dots
Fingerboard Material: Ebony
Finish: Sunburst High-gloss Lacquer
Neck /Body Joint: Dovetail
Neck Material: One-piece Maple
Note: Accepts Loop-end Strings Only
Number of Frets Clear: 15
Number of Frets Total: 29
Nut Material: M-O-P
Nut Width: 1 1/8"
Peghead Inlay: M-O-P Fleur-de-lys / Logo Script
Peghead Overlay: Black Composition
Plating: Nickel-plated / Pattern and Logo Stamped
Length: 13 7/8" (354mm)
Soundhole Shape: Traditional F-Hole
Tailpiece: 1920s-style Stamped Brass / Press-fit Cover
Top: Select Solid Spruce
Top Purfling: Multi-ply W-B-W Top and Back Inlay
Truss Rod: Traditional Two-Way Adjustable
Tuning Machines: Standard Gotoh„¢ 4-on-a-plate / Removable Grained Ivoroid Buttons