Shure SM81 Condenser Mic
- Write a Review
- Seen a Lower Price? Click Here.
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
A studio standard for miking acoustic guitar, piano, and cymbals.
The Shure SM81 Condenser Mic is a unidirectional cardioid mic with studio, broadcast, and sound reinforcement versatility. Its wide frequency response, low noise, low RF susceptibility, and rugged construction allow it to excel in all applications. It is furnished with a swivel adapter, 10dB attenuator with locking switch, a 3-position low-cut filter, foam windscreen, and a case for carrying and storage.
The SM81 requires phantom power.
- 20Hz-20kHz frequency response
- Flat response curve for accurate reproduction of sound sources
- Low noise and high output clipping level
- Low distortion over a wide range of load impedances
- Cardioid polar pattern with maximum rejection and minimum coloration of off-axis sounds
- Low RF susceptibility
- Selectable low-frequency response: flat, 6, or 18dB/octave roll-off
- Phantom powering
- Rugged steel construction
Get it. You'll use this mic a lot.
SM81 Condenser Mic Specifications:
- Type: Condenser (electret bias)
- Frequency Response: 20 to 20,000Hz
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid (unidirectional) response-uniform with frequency, symmetrical about axis
- Output Impedance: Rated at 150Ω (85Ω actual)
- Recommended minimum load impedance: 800Ω (May be used with loads as low as 150Ω with reduced clipping level)
- Output Configuration and Connector: Balanced, transformer-coupLED output; male XLR connector
- Sensitivity (at 1,000Hz): Open Circuit Voltage: -45dBV/Pascal (5.6 mV), (1 Pascal = 94dB SPL)
- Clipping Level (at 1,000Hz): 800Ω Load: -4dBV (0.63 V), 150Ω Load: -15dBV (0.18 V)
- Total Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.5% (131dB SPL at 250Hz into 800Ω load)
- Maximum SPL: (at 1,000Hz): 800Ω load: 136dB (attenuator at 0) 146dB (attenuator at -10), 150Ω load: 128dB (attenuator at 0) 138dB (attenuator at -10)
- Hum Pickup: -3dB equivalent SPL in a 1 mOe field (60Hz)
- Self-Noise (equivalent sound pressure levels; measured with true rms voltmeter) 16dB typical, A-weighted, 19dB typical, weighted per DIN 45 405
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 78dB (IEC 651)* at 94dB SPL, *S/N ratio is difference between 94dB SPL and product's equivalent self noise (SPL A-weighted)
- Overvoltage and Reverse Polarity Protection: Max. external voltage applied to pins 2 and 3 with respect to pin 1: +52 VDC, Reverse polarity protection: 200 mA max. (diode-clamped)
- Polarity: Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 relative to pin 3
- Cartridge Capacitance: 54 pF
- Low Frequency Response Switch Positions: Flat; -6dB/octave below 100Hz; -18dB/octave below 80Hz
- Attenuator Switch Positions (Lockable): 0 or -10dB
- Power: Supply Voltage: 11 to 52 VDC, positive, pins 2 and 3, Current Drain: 1.2 mA max
- Environmental Conditions:
- Storage: -29° to 74° C (-20° to 165° F)
- Operating: -6.7° to 49° C (20° to 120° F)
- Storage 0 to 95% relative humidity at room temperature (72° to 80° F, 22° to 27° C)
- Case: Steel construction with vinyl metallic paint finish and stainless steel screens
- Dimensions (D x W): 212mm x 23.5mm, 8.3" x .93"
- Weight Net: 230g (8oz.)