Neumann TLM 49 Condenser Studio Microphone
- Write a Review
- Seen a Lower Price? Click Here.
45 day price guarantee, 45 day return policy, 100% secure shopping
A studio microphone with a retro look, warm sound, and is optimized for vocal recordings with the capsule of the legendary M 49 and U 47.
The Neumann TLM 49 is a large-diaphragm studio microphone with a cardioid directional characteristic and a warm sound. The TLM 49 is specially optimized for vocal performance. It is supplied as a set, with an elastic suspension.
The Neumann TLM 49's design is inspired by that of the legendary M 49 and M 50 microphones of the 1950s. Naturally the TLM 49 has the typical Neumann fine matte nickel finish. The sound design is also oriented toward that of the M 49 and the
By combining its retro look with proven Neumann transformerless circuit technology, this microphone ensures low self-noise and the use of high gain levels.
During the development phase, the sound was adjusted in extensive practical tests, so as to make the TLM 49 ideal particularly for vocal and speech recording. However, in addition, it is also suitable for instrumental applications in professional production studios and demanding home recordings.
The large-diaphragm capsule of the TLM 49 provides a cardioid directional characteristic with a tendency toward supercardioid, due to the special capsule construction. Following the example of the M 49, high frequencies are more directional. The capsule diameter is 34 mm.
The front of the microphone is indicated by the red Neumann logo on the microphone body. The capsule is oriented so that the microphone is addressed from the front.
The TLM 49 uses the famous K 47 capsule, which was also used in the M 49 and the U 47. The capsule has a linear frequency response up to the upper mid-range. Above 2 kHz there is a gentle presence boost up to 3dB.
The capsule is enclosed by a large microphone head grille, which is acoustically very open and is hence neutral with regard to the sound.
The letters TLM stand for "transformerless microphone". With TLM technology the usual output transformer is replaced by an electronic circuit.
As with traditional transformers, it ensures good common mode rejection, and prevents RF interference that may influence the balanced audio signal.
Noise signals which affect the balanced modulation line are therefore effectively suppressed. The microphone can operate at sound pressure levels of up to 114 dB without distortion, and provides a dynamic range of 102 dB (A-weighted).
The entire interior structure is mounted elastically, to prevent the transmission of structure-borne noise. In addition, the capsule is mounted with a rubber shock mount.
Due to the wide frequency response, the TLM 49 can also transmit extremely low-frequency signals without coloration. Of course this means that the microphone is also sensitive to noise signals such as vibration noise and wind noise in this frequency range. The TLM 49 is therefore supplied with the elastic suspension EA 3, which effectively protects the microphone from structure-borne noise. If the microphone is addressed at extremely close range, pop screen PS 15 or PS 20 a can be used in front of the microphone to provide protection against plosive sounds.
Requires phantom power.
- Sound profile optimized for vocal performance
- Pressure gradient transducer with the large-diaphragm capsule of the legendary U 47
- Cardiod characteristic
- Retro design
- Transformerless output circuitry
- Acoustically very open wire mesh headgrille
- Complete set with elastic suspension
TLM 49 Condenser Studio Microphone Specifications:
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 13 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1000 ohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR1): 23 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1): 12 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 71 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 82 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD < 0.5 %2): 110 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD < 5 %2) : 129 dB
- Maximum output voltage for THD < 5%: -1 dBu
- Dyn. range of the mic. amplifier /A-weighted, 0.5 %2)): 98 dB
- Dyn. range of the mic. amplifier /A-weighted, 5 %2)): 117 dB
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938) : 48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938): 3.2 mA
- Matching connector: XLR 3F
- Weight: 825 g
- Diameter: 78 mm
- Length: 165 mm
- 1) According to IEC 60268-1; CCIR-weighting according to CCIR 468-3, quasi peak; A-weighting according to IEC 61672-1, RMS
- 2) Measured as equivalent el. input signal