Neumann Microphone and Monitor Rebate
Get a free HD 280 Pro headphone or free monitor carrying case with your qualifying Neumann purchase! Offer ends December 31, 2013. See offer for details.
- - Offer Expires 12/31/13
- Download rebate
Extremely low self-noise and the high SPL transmission!
A standard name in high-end recording studios around the world, Neumann mics deliver the professional touch that’s needed to capture high-quality audio. The TLM 103 is fast becoming a standard for home recording and the music industry. The large-diaphragm Neumann TLM-103 Microphone provides platinum-quality sound on a bronze budget, using transformerless circuitry for ultralow self-noise and handling high sound pressure levels up to 138dB. The TLM-103’s cardioid polar pattern optimizes attenuation of unwanted sound and suppresses feedback and comes with a rugged wire mesh grille that helps protect the capsule. This is the mic for everyone who, despite budget limitations, does not want to do without the uncompromising Neumann sound.
Due to the universal cardioid pattern, straightforward handling, extremely low self-noise level, and finally, the price, the TLM 103 is predestined for all demanding applications from home recording to professional broadcasting and commercial recording studios.
The TLM 103 is equipped with a large diaphragm capsule with cardioid pattern. By focusing on this pattern – used in most recording situations – the attenuation of unwanted rear sound has been optimized. Off-axis sounds are rendered naturally while isolation is increased. This also leads to a high feedback suppression when the microphone is used in live situations or where loudspeaker playback is a factor.
The TLM 103 is addressed from the front, marked with the red Neumann logo on the microphone body. The K 103 large diaphragm capsule is based on the K 87, well known from the U 67 / U 87 microphones.The capsule has a flat frequency response up to about 5 kHz, and above that, a wide flat 4 dB presence boost.
The large wire mesh headgrille protects the capsule from plosive sounds and effectively prevents pop noises. These characteristics are achieved without resorting to corrective resonance effects. Therefore, the microphone maintains an excellent impulse response and reproduces the finest details of music and speech without coloration.
With just 7 dB-A / 17.5 dB CCIR the self-noise level of the TLM 103 is so reduced that even the smallest signals are reproduced basically noise-free. As it is capable of handling sound pressure levels up to 138 dB without distortion, the TLM 103 provides a dynamic range of 131 dB (A-weighted).
The letters TLM stand for "transformerless microphone". With TLM technology the usual output transformer is replaced by an electronic circuit. As with traditional transformers, it ensures good common mode rejection, and prevents RF interference that may influence the balanced audio signal.
- Large diaphragm cardioid microphone
- Pressure gradient transducer with with one-diaphragm capsule
- Transformerless circuitry
- Extremely low noise: 7 dB-A
- Includes swivel mount
- Straightforward handling for homerecording and professional studios
TLM 103 Microphone Specifications:
- Acoustical operating principle Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern Cardioid
- Frequency range 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm 23 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance 1 kohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR1) 17.5 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1) 7 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL) 76.5 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1) (rel. 94 dB SPL) 87 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2) 138 dB
- Maximum output voltage 13 dBu
- Dynamic range of the microphone amplifier (A-weighted) 131 dB
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 61938) 48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 61938) 3 mA
- Matching connector XLR3F
- Weight approx. 450 g
- Diameter 60 mm
- Length 132 mm